Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whatever reason, the lab was unable to get Beck's fungal test results in an entire week (Friday-Friday) and now they're closed for the weekend, meaning that I won't get answers until Monday at the earliest. The quill loss is really, really bad. He's got bare spots now, and they're getting worse literally every time he wakes up to move. Which is not often lately, mainly just to eat, then he immediately just wants to curl up and sleep. I have this awful nagging feeling like he's dying, which could be a bit paranoid.

I have some Baytril on hand from November (would it still be viable) and I'm wondering if I should just start giving him some on the off chance that it might help any sort of infection he has? I know Baytril is tough on them, and bitter, so I don't want to subject him to it if there's no chance it would help, but I don't want to withhold it if there is any chance that it will.

Opinions?

Here are some pictures of the quill loss. They're poor quality, and he wasn't too keen on holding still. I tried to push his quills back so you guys can see how sparse his quills are over his rump.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Re: Give him Baytril?

No, I don't suggest giving him meds without knowing what is wrong. Also, the meds may be expired by now. Giving baytril without needing baytril risks upsetting his intestinal tract needlessly.

Is he just loosing quills or are their scabs, sores, or any type of irritation? Are there gobs of dry skin on the end of the quills? He was treated for mites right? If so, with what?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

He's been treated for mites with Revolution. He received 3 treatments two weeks apart through November and December, and he had another treatment last Thursday (planning another this Thursday.)

I don't see any sores or scabs, though occasionally he has a little red spot when he looses one of the long quills from his brow. There is a small amount of skin at the end of each quil,, but not huge gobs. There doesn't appear to be any pussiness.

He and his cage are both immaculately clean. Both his wheels are washed everyday, and he uses a litter box outside his cage 2-3 times a day. He eats a mix or Wellness Indoor and Performatrin Salmon and Olive Oil, plus freeze dried crickets and meal worms, so I think his diet shouldn't be causing it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

These were the quills that accumulated in his blanket after 3 days (and he's been mostly just sleeping his cage)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts

Are you counting his kibble and weighing him regularly to know if food and weight go down? Hopefully the results of the skin scrap will be back tomorrow. If not, I would ask the vet to phone the lab.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Appetite is pretty good, and his weight was up a little bit since his last vet visit in November. I'll ask what it was exactly. He's a pretty smally guy though. A runner, and a small built one at that.

If the lab results yield nothing, should I ask for a referral to University of Guelph animal clinic? It's right next door, but I do need a vet referral for an appointment.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Nancy,

If it is fungus, what are the safe medications for hedgehogs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see tiny quills poking through! Maybe there is hope yet. Still losing a lott too though. Called the lab and they said fungal tests may take up to two weeks. *Dies*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts