Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

This is my first time posting, but I've been using the hedgehog central webpage and forums as my main reference for Hedgehog care.

My hedgie's Quinn, and she's 1 1/2 years old. I love her, even though she is not much of a snuggler!

I'll post pictures later when I have access to them on my own computer.

I'd like some advice. Quinn's eartips are sort of crusty. From searching the forums I think it's simply a case of dry skin, which would make sense in this season. My hands are pretty dry themselves.

She doesn't scratch and her skin otherwise looks fine. I got vaseline at hand so I could treat her ears, as I've seen posted on this board, by rubbing a bit of it on the top of her ears every evening.

My main problem is getting to her ears. Quinn is accustomed to me and doesn't have any issue running around all over me, but she doesn't like being handled. I can pet her tummy sometimes, but she doesn't seem to be interested in that, and she definately doesn't let me touch her face.

So I'm wondering how other people did it. I know some hedgehogs will let themselves be handled better than Quinn, but I know she's not the only one with her kind of personality.

My best idea so far is to put her in water so she can't curl up, as I do for nail trimming. I could probably manage to get to her ears when she tries to climb up my hand to get out.

I just don't really like the idea of putting her in water every night. I don't want to risk her getting cold too much. Maybe she could be tricked by putting her in the sink without any water in it!

Any other ideas, outside of the bath trick?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Have you tried delicious treats? Holding it just out of reach so she has to pull her head out a bit to get it. This would probably be easier with a second person so you can have your one hand free to use the cream. Second person can hold her and lure her with the treat while you get to the ears slowly from behind her. (does that make sense?) If bath-trick is working, I'd say do that. Also mine do not usually ball up right after a bath, they let me wrap them up like a burrito in the towel so then that would prevent the "balling" just until you can quick get the ears. Of course upon protesting she would try to scootch down into the towel into a ball. Be firm but gentle until you can get the ears coated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's a term called "scruffing" where you pick up a hedgehog by cupping your hand around their flattened quills by their shoulders (won't work for a startled one, I think) and pull the skin back so that they can't ball up. I've never done it myself but I've heard that it's the same movement like if you were peeling an orange.

I would try the bath trick first. Just make sure that the room is warm and the water is nice and warm and to keep her out extra long to make sure she doesn't take a chill. I would think that you could apply vaseline with a q-tip once or twice a week and her ears would improve. I don't think that it has to be an everyday application. If your bathroom is chilly use a space heater to warm it up, or bath her with a pitcher and a large bowl in her room.

·
Registered
125 Posts
for my hedgie's dry skin i simply popped open a vitamin e gel capsule over her food every now and then. it seemed to work. she's ok with me touching her face, but her ears are a big no-no.
you could try this as well!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krbshappy71 said:
Have you tried delicious treats? Holding it just out of reach so she has to pull her head out a bit to get it.
That sounds like a good idea, but since my boyfriend is only there on weekends it could be hard. But I could try it and see if I can manage it on my own.

Bengall77 said:
There's a term called "scruffing" where you pick up a hedgehog by cupping your hand around their flattened quills by their shoulders (won't work for a startled one, I think) and pull the skin back so that they can't ball up. I've never done it myself but I've heard that it's the same movement like if you were peeling an orange.

I would try the bath trick first. Just make sure that the room is warm and the water is nice and warm and to keep her out extra long to make sure she doesn't take a chill. I would think that you could apply vaseline with a q-tip once or twice a week and her ears would improve. I don't think that it has to be an everyday application. If your bathroom is chilly use a space heater to warm it up, or bath her with a pitcher and a large bowl in her room.
I can try scruffing, but she might make it impossible. If I don't need to do it daily, I guess the bath idea isn't too bad. She wants to get out of the towel and run around as soon as she's out though, which might complicate things, because I'd have to be firm to keep her in there for warmth and she could wipe the vaseline off her ears.

chaos_emerald said:
for my hedgie's dry skin i simply popped open a vitamin e gel capsule over her food every now and then. it seemed to work. she's ok with me touching her face, but her ears are a big no-no.
you could try this as well!
Oh, that sounds like a good idea to keep it from happenning again. I put a drop of oil in her bath once in a while, but I was thinking that can't help the ears at all since I don't touch her head while washing her.

I'll see about doing that, vit E capsules will be easy to find. How often would you give her that?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not positive about how frequently, honestly. I don't do it more than once a week, if even. As soon as her ears or skin appears dry, I'll pop one over her food. I usually see an improvement pretty quickly. You many want to wait on a for sure answer from someone more experienced!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, here are two pictures of Quinn.

She's an internet bully :(

And this is my favorite picture of her, it turned out so pretty. Quinn hates baths, obviously. She looks depressed, the poor thing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I see your cyber-bully has been defeated by *gasp* water! Bwahahahaha.

For applying something like vaseline or bag balm to your hedgie's ears, you might be able to distract her for a few moments with her favorite food. You'll have to get everything set up and move fast, but it's do-able.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to try the treat bait thing first, since I happenned to have bought some cilantro last night to try and tempt her with, since it seemed like a popular treat. I had never gotten her interesting in other treats than mealworms so far.

She ate a leaf of it and proceeded to annoint obsessively for quite a bit of time, which allowed me to dab her eartips at my leasure.

No baths needed! Though she's sorta covered in green drool now. :|

She went a bit nuts after that first leaf. She would annoint then start chewing on her own quills for a bit before annointing a bit. I think she was trying to get back the taste/smell she put on herself. And completely ignored the other leaf I was trying to bait her with. It was sort of worrying in fact. Though she stopped when I put her in her pen and put the cilantro away.

Has anyone seen their hedgehogs chew on their own quills when annointing?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hazesti said:
Has anyone seen their hedgehogs chew on their own quills when annointing?
No but if she stopped after she was anointing it was probably just excitement.

Quigley is so funny when he anoints sometimes. He gets so excited and obsessed about getting it all over his body he does his tummy but then ends up getting distracted by his boy part and masturbating instead. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts