Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm getting the following cage. It was listed as a ferret cage on craigslist. I messaged them and they were asking $100 for it, but talked them down to $40 :D
Anyways. I was wanting to know if it would be alright to house the hedgies together in this cage, but I'm converting the cage to so that there is a cage on the top, then another seperate cage on the bottom.I'll be adding a loft in each of the cages using coroplast and zip ties. My worry is that one hedgehog is male and the other is female. Will the scent of either one of them drive the other crazy?
here is the cage:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You got a great deal.

There is no problem having them housed that close. There is only an issue when one or the other is let out to play on the same surface that the other was just on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nancy said:
You got a great deal.

There is no problem having them housed that close. There is only an issue when one or the other is let out to play on the same surface that the other was just on.
Thanks for adding that! I would have never thought to not let them play after one another on the same surface. Thanks so much for mentioning that!
Haha, and I know! I'm really excited about converting it. It should be fun. I was going to use the cat cage I mentioned in another thread but this is a better deal since I can house 2 hedgies seperatly in it and it will save space. I'll just have to figue out something to do with the other!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you put a boy out on something a girl has just been on it is just about a certainty that he will sniff around and then pee and/or other boy activity. Sometimes the boy will even sing from the smell. With a girl being out after a boy, since girls are induced ovulators and only ovulate in the presence of a male, who knows if the smell of him having just been there is enough to make her ovulate. Probably not, but I tend to not let the girls on the blankets the boys have just been out on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nancy said:
If you put a boy out on something a girl has just been on it is just about a certainty that he will sniff around and then pee and/or other boy activity. Sometimes the boy will even sing from the smell. With a girl being out after a boy, since girls are induced ovulators and only ovulate in the presence of a male, who knows if the smell of him having just been there is enough to make her ovulate. Probably not, but I tend to not let the girls on the blankets the boys have just been out on.
Oh, okay. That makes total since.
So would this be the same as if I was like, holding the male and then I put him up and held the female, and vice/versa? Would I have to wash my hands to handle them after another?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts