Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had posted recently about my hedgie Quilbur beginning to do her (possibly...we rescued her and aren't exactly sure of her age) one year old quilling. This round is the worst so far, and she's just miserable. I've tried oatmeal baths, vitamin E drops, everything. She doesn't seem to even feel slightly more comfortable.

She's now having very loose poops and dark colored urine. Some of the urine dried hard and foamy, and I have no idea what that could mean.

She recently started eating a new food, but I've been gradually weaning her from her old food for the past month. It wasn't a sudden change or anything.

I'm getting really scared because it's never been this bad. Should I take her to the vet? I've already taken her in a month ago for a URI...I'm terrified it's a UTI this time around. I hate seeing my poor baby this uncomfortable. I love her so much and I just want her to be happy and healthy. ):

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
...pee shouldn't dry hard and foamy. That's strange enough to merit a vet-visit, preferably with sample in-hand.

* Disclaimer: that's a problem I haven't encountered while reading the archives, and I don't have any direct experience with it. If someone with actual experience comes along to declare, "Oh, no, that's normal!" I'm totally happy to learn something new.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It could be a UTI, but i'm no expert on the matter. (My hedgie hasnt had one, but I have a cat who sometimes gets them). When you say dark colored urine, is it dark yellow? Perhaps a little brownish? If it looks a little brownish could be dried blood which could indicate a UTI.

Im not really sure about foamy urine. Are you sure it was the urine that was foamy? Not anointing or anything?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge comes along, wish I could be more help.

Edit: I found this about humans, not sure if it transfers to hogs, but why not...

"An infection in the urinary tract caused by bacteria or fungi can result in cloudy and foamy urine. This is usually accompanied by a burning pain during urination, which is characteristic of a UTI or urinary tract infection. The microorganisms causing the infection produce foam in one's urine.

UTI is usually detected in a urine examination and may be treated with antibiotics. Patients are also advised to increase their fluid intake to flush out the microorganisms."

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm terrified it's a UTI this time around.
Of all the 'bad' things that can happen, this one is easier than most for vets to identify, and typically very trreatable. Time for a vet, IMO. Observation is crucial, but perhaps it is time for actual data and test results from a medical professional (full blood panel, urine culture, poop test). If it is a situation requiring medical intervention, it will not get better by itself and it could get much worse in a hurry.

dark colored urine.
I would want hydration data. How many ml of water per day is being consumed?

Dark urine could indicate blood, which could indicate cystitis, which is treatable, though the specific cause / trigger of cystitis can make an effective treatment difficult to zero in on. My post in the other thread touches on this subject. (Which for Sophie required a major diet change, but eventually cured her cystitis 100%.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late response, guys!

So I never solved the mystery of what caused this foamy dark colored substance to end up in her cage, but it hasn't happened since. I've been monitoring her pees and poops, and everything seems normal now. She's eating plenty and I hear her drinking multiple times throughout the night.

I'm still going to keep a close watch on her to make sure nothing comes back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts