Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just acquired our first hedgie about a week ago and she was a bit of a surprise and last minute decision (had done some research before, but hadn't planned to get one quite so quickly or right now, but...) so I am trying to get a better cage put together for her. Right now she's just in a small hamster cage and I really want to get something bigger made. I read through the whole thread w/ all the pictures of cages and I must say "WOW!!" Some great ideas there!! I really want to go w/ a C&C cage, but I'll need solid sides because this girl is quite small and the lady I got her from, said she had "quit growing" so I'm not sure if she'll get bigger or not. I might go tonight and look for materials to make one, but not sure. I was going to wait until next weekend when I go to Target, but the cube pieces I was looking at online said they won't be available online or in the store for several more weeks, so now I'm not sure again. I might just do a sterilite cage for now too, but I haven't decided for sure. I do have a few questions though, I was looking at all the great tubes, etc and didn't notice anyone using the plastic tubes you get w/ the ferret cages (Super Pet) cages. Are they not safe to use??? I have several of them, brand new from cages I've bought for my chinchillas, but of course you can't use them in there, so that is why I ask. If they aren't safe, that's prefectly fine, just thought I'd ask before going out and buying something different. I also really like the idea of using the dryer tubing to get to a "loft" area. That looks like loads of fun. I've seen that same type of tube too for ferrets in pet stores, would that work too??? (I think its all enclosed no holes like in the plastic tubes, and "springy" like a dryer "tube." Also if anyone has any pictures of cages, that aren't in the cage thread, I'd love to see them. I am looking for lots of ideas before I go out and make her cage, so I can make it "just perfect!!"

Jessie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay I went to Menards and Walmart and couldn't find any kind of cubes you could make, so for now I went w/ a sterilite container and when we brought her down to try it out tonight, she just cruised all over checking it out!!! Here is a picture of it. Its missing her food dish (just like her water dish, temporarily a PB lid) but besides missing a wheel can you see anything we need to change??? Her igloo is the smaller version as I thought she'd need that size, but actually she will outgrow it pretty quickly. It does have a pile of cut up fleece strips in it too for her to "nest" in. The sterilite container is only the 90 quart one, but I am hoping to still find the material to make a C&C one for her, so thought it'd work temporarily. If I can't find them next weekend though when I'm at Target, I'm going to get another sterilite container and connect so she'll soon have a bigger cage regardless. :)

Just a cute picture of her snuggling in my shirtm while I was on the computer.....

Jessie

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally dont think you should use the "Super pet" tubes. PVC pipe is much better. *But get another opinion on that, that's just mine. Your cage looks nice, good luck finding a C&C. Btw, she is very cute!

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I use superpet tubes. I line mine with a layer of vellux so that feet won't slip through any holes (in case they should rotate). I actually liked them better than PVC as you can see the hedgehog when they are in the tube.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we are getting a wheel ASAP!! I just wanted to ask if a wheel is a good idea right now, when we are a bit worried that she's underweight??? But if its okay for her to have, I'll buy her one tomorrow, I just keep forgetting to ask and didn't want to pick one up, if it wasn't a good idea when we are trying to "put some weight on her" as I had read of some hedgies losing weight because they are so active on their wheel.

Jessie

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are concerned about her weight, you might want to try a food that's higher in fat like Royal Canin Baby.
A wheel is very important for a hedgehog.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am in the same way to think like Gnarly

I have 2 albinos hedgehogs and they are realy small ,,,but they run un the wheel all night and sometimes during the day also ,they love that ,,,,they can't be happy without that wheel ,,,,,,

then i give them Royal canin baby 34 and they stay around 310 gr ,,,but without their wheel they goes at about 325 gr but anyway they run in their bin all the night and make a big big mess and they always want to bite me ,,,I don't have that kind of problem when they can run in their wheels ,,,,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanx. Well this little girl was only 102 grams when I got her and she was suppose to be 10 wks old. She is gaining, but slowly. I've yet to find Royal Canin food and unless an online site takes paypal (or direct payment for your checking) I can't order online right now, but if you of somewhere, where I could find it (I'm going to do a search right now for a webste for their food and see if it has a website) How much of a fat content should I be giving her?? Also is she old enough (she's 11-12 wks) for insects yet, as I had heard they are high in fat as well. I will go get her a wheel though, I just kept forgetting to ask about the wheel and the weight gain, but have no problem getting her one. I want what is BEST for her!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, but sure I will get the tag cut off!! I noticed the same thing!! BTW, got her a wheel today. Hopefully she learns she likes it!!! :) How do you teach them to use it?? Just put them on and slowly spin it or what??

Jessie

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Most catch on to the wheels pretty easily themselves, but it might take a few nights. If she doesn't figure it out instantly, that's okay, just make sure it's available. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay thanx. I need to find somewhere i can find Mealies. Sounds like most hedgies love them. Our pet store/feed store said they used to carry them and will again, but that right now they are out of stock and haven't been able to get them since June. :(

Jessie

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Yeh, there was/is a big problem with mealworm farms. All of the online vendors I looked at earlier this summer didn't have any available either. They seem to be getting new stock, but quantities are still limited. The last time I purchased mealies (been several years now as I have my own colony) I got them from Flukers (www.flukerfarms.com). You can always call to see what type of payment they will accept.

I've also used www.ghann.com , http://www.wormman.com/ , and a couple of others that appear to no longer have websites.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.