Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!

i've wanted a hedgehog for a while now but i never thought my parents would let me get one. my birthday was a few weeks ago, so i decided to give it a shot and ask for one. soooo, to prove to my parents that i could take care of one, i've been reading all of these forums for almost a month. and i guess it worked, because my mom emailed the breeder and sent the deposit, and now all i have to do is wait! :D how do i pass the time?! i've already decided that i want a male, and my mom helped me pick the name Neville, from Harry Potter lol. i just feel like it's going to be years until i'm actually able to see him! :cry:

the cage is all set up, i put together a c&c cage with the coroplast. but i kind of got over excited when i got the coroplast and just started cutting away trying to get it to fit, without looking up the proper way to do it. so i know it's supposed to be like a box, with the side flaps attached to the base, but i didn't do that :? i have the base there that covers the whole bottom (with the fleece on top) and then separate coroplast walls for each side. i was just wondering if that's still okay? or if i should go out and buy more coroplast and do it all over again?

also, i have a large size flying saucer wheel, but i've read something about it not being good for their spines i think, is this true? i've read about the carolina storm wheel and i plan on getting one at some point, but i was just wondering if the flying saucer is okay for now?

and lastly, i still need to buy food for my Nevs. i know it's been asked a lot on here lol, i've read every one, but there's just so many to choose from and i really want the best for my hedge. so is there like a top 2 or 3 brands of cat food that you guys recommend? the breeder i'm getting from feeds his hedgies Royal Canin, is this one okay? should i stay with the same food that he's using?

thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer all my questions lol, sorry there's so many

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your hedgehog! :D Love the name choice!
The flying saucer is not my wheel of choice lol but alot of members have them and love them so it should be fine. ;) Not enough research has been done to know for sure if the wheel causes any joint/mobility issues and the debate rages on. :lol:
Your cage sounds just like mine and should be fine. Could you post a pic of the cage?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have seperate walls from the floor pieces of coroplast like you do, but you just have to make sure there isn't enough space for him to crawl under and get out. I ziptied the walls to the floor to make sure.

Many people on here use the flying saucer, because it is not too tall to fit in certain cages. There have been people who ask about the odd movement on the wheel (leaning to the left or right) but I don't think there have been documented cases of it actually harming them. But a CSW would be best. (I'm saving up for two as well :p)

Food! Here is a link to a forum where people state what food mixtures they have. Take a look see and you can compare the food by looking them up on google.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9718&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=food+mixtures

Here is another link to the sticky for a dry cat food list made by Lizardgirl. Who is a respected hedgie lover and Admin on the site.

http://hedgehogcentral.com/CatFoodChart6.html

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks soo much you guys! :D

i thought of ziptying the coroplast to the cage, but not the walls to the floor, that's a good idea! ahaha thank you :)

and apparently the picture i have of my cage is too big lol, i'll try and figure it out and post it at some point. i wanted to do the 4x2 panel c&c cage, but was waaaay too big to fit in my room, so i did a 3x2 and it's still really big. i made the coroplast walls go up about 4", it's about half way up the walls of the cage. is that high enough?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
If it were me I'd make the walls 8inches or more. 3panel X 2panel is a perfect size cage,the real big ones can be hard to heat if you are using a cermic heat emitter. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like The Name. :) Good Luck With Your Hedgie! i personally tried feeding my hedgie pokey hedgehog food but she wouldn't eat it. I tried using some of my old hedgies cat food. she loved it. The food is called For the Cat Lovers Soul Kitten Food. Cat food has all the nutrition a hedgehog needs! Hope This Helps! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts