Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
the vet goes to my church I'll find out sunday what he used and if he has knowledge of the deaths that have occured when the medicine was used.
thanks for warning me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay updates, didn't see the vet at church.

Has there ever been such a thing as hedgehog face acne? or anything? on the right side of his face (facing me) he seems to have bumps?

also he's sneezing, on the vets recomendation i switched his bedding from the pine to newspaper and sneezing happened after the switch...is this the cause. I only don't use fleece yet because he's still potty trainging and it looks like I might be forced to use it..hmm

I hate being so paranoid but I really want to make sure he's happy and heathly.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What exactly do the bumps look like? Are they red? Can you post a picture please?

Whenever there is an allergy concern the best thing is to put hedgie on cloth liners. Baby flannel receiving blankets work great as temporary liners and are cheap and come in multi packs. Pillow cases will work as well. You want to avoid any type of loose bedding as it could be the dust causing the problem. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the bumps also show up after the bedding change? If so, that could also possibly be allergy related?

·
Registered
412 Posts
One of my guys had a pimple-like red bump on his face and when I took him to the vet, she called it an "ingrown hair follicle" or.. hedgehog acne. He only had one bump though, so I'm not too sure if yours has the same thing. Could it be an allergy to something (assuming hedgehogs can have allergies)? Is he scratching his face?

The vet gave me an antibiotic and it cleared up the bump in a matter of days. I just put some on his food and he was none the wiser :cool:

I would definitely look into the liner thing. Even if you just buy a huge fleece blanket and cut it up, it'll give you a TON of liners. We cut up a $20 king size fleece blanket and it's enough for all three of my boys to have a fresh liner every day for a week with a couple extra. Just throw them in the wash and you're set for another week. Plus they last a reeeaallllly long time!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts