Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am getting my first hedgie thursday, currently I have a container for the housing, big enough for it's baby stature. I have a few questions though.

1. I have heard some dog food is acceptable as a main food source, if thats true it would be convienent for we had to switch my dogs food and have an entire bag sized container left over, Purina lamb formula i believe..?

2. Where can I find coroplast? I found the "box" matirial for custom cages at Target. if coroplast is unattainable for me are there other sudgestions?

3. Is there such a thing as too much play time outside of the cage?

I think that is it for now.
Thanks

oh wait! Any name sudgestions :oops:

·
Registered
42 Posts
1st, congratulations!

I don’t know about dog food being okay for hedgies. Ive only heard of Cat food. I wouldnt think that dog food would be appropriate for a hedgie. Both due to size of the kibble, and ingredients.

We’ve had some trouble finding coroplast. Another name for it is corrugated plastic. We know that home depot sells it. Also, we’ve contacted a few FedEx/Kinko stores, but they charge quite a bit more. They use theirs for signs and will charge regardless of if you wanted it printed on.

When it comes to play time...be sure they have access to water and if he gets tired he will let you know. Also be aware that he may have to use the bathroom and if you keep him out too much...he'll use you.

And as for names...thats as personal as they come. Spend a few days with him and be inspired.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As far as too much play time goes, its best when you first get a new hedgie to leave them pretty much alone for the first couple days just in order to get used to their surroundings. Monitor food and water consumption, but try to avoid new stressful things for a few days. That being said, good luck with your new little one!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you, I'll def. pick up the threads recommended cat food.

I'll check my local home depo for the supplies

and I'll be sure to watch the play time, I might extend it more after potty training, have a littler box in the cage and in my room ya know?

anyway i'll be sure to add a pic tomorrow when the little one come home :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OKay picked up Columbus today! Why that name, well as soon as I held him the first time he didn't ball up didn't snort but went exporing insted! so then name seemed to fit. I'm letting him chill in his cage now he's currently napping, he was digging around and drinking water earlyer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very cute! I love the name.

And I hope you don't mind: I noticed you are using a water bottle. Water bowls tend to have more advantages, they are safer (won't chip teeth or catch tongues), and more natural (hedgehogs tend to drink more when they are offered a bowl).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update time!
So his first night, I woke up he had eatin almost all of the food, and even succesfully pooped in the litter box twice, everything else was around the litter box so i'm thinking he tried real hard.

He's exploring his play area right now I don't think he ever stops moving when he's out of his cage.

ONly concern is he keeps itching himself, the petstore/breeder the owner ordered from gave me a quarentee for no mite paracites or disease. and a book I read sudgests giving them baths when you first take them home anyhow. He is also in pine shavings..could he be allergic? and how would i know for sure if that was the problem?

So main questions, shall i bathe him, and clean out all his current living quarters, or do i assume he might be allergic to the pine and swap that out?

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's possible he has mites.
To test for mites: Hold your hedgehog in a black cloth, if little white specks come off and move around on the cloth your hedgehog has mites. But, even if you don't see specks, your hedgehog can still have mites.

If you are interested in changing the bedding, you might want to consider liners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so i tried the black cloth thing but couldn't get any flakes or anything, so i gave him a bath and put a little bit vitamin e oil on him.

I'll keep an eye on the itching if it continues ill take him to the local vet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
useing fleece liners may help the itching problem. Shavings can harbor dust and mites, both of which are bad for your hedgies skin. You may want to try switching to fleece liners :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
He might have mites- wood shavings can mean more likelihood of mights, but I use kiln dried pine bedding as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay so far I haven't caught him scratching, he's in extreme let me sleep mode that's all, I'm sure the bath was a lot of excitement for him.

I just tried waking him up for one more play time for the day, he looked up sniffed my hand then curled back up and went to sleep. I figure I'll leave alone for now. He's def. nocturnal so he'll prob. be awake later :roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So as an update I made a appointment with the local vet to get him a checkup. He might have mights, and he might be quilling. Best way to be sure is the vet right?

So I'll post more updates on tuesday after the checkup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay. so real fast, I was wearing a black shirt tonight, and unless i'm completely insane or just trying to see mites my boy has em, one of the white flecks moved, I'm almost positive.

Good thing he's seeing the vet soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
took columbus to the vet today. Turns out there are mites but we caught it early he's going to be getting two more shots in the next few weeks.
I don't think I've ever seen a small animal poop as much a he did durinng his checkup :p
They also gave me a specail shampoo for his dry skin a series of baths begins toMorrow.
Should be fun! He's a bit pricey at the moment but I love him and he's way worth it ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts