Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've had my hedgehog for about 6 weeks and the only real problem I'm having with him is picking him up! He's fine with petting, but he hisses at me and even curls up into with my hand still under him when I pick him up. He's also very skiddish. I'm getting very frustrated with him! Someone help (he's a month and 2 weeks old).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this is pretty normal hedgehog behavior, especially since you've only had him for a little while. Make sure you are holding him and bonding with him everyday and he we get to know you better and lighten up a bit. You can also try putting something with your scent on it such as a sock or an old t-shirt in his cage to snuggle with so that he better gets used to your scent. Be patient with him and always support him when you pick him up. You can try picking him up with a blanket or towel if he always spikes up. just give him some time to adjust to life with you and I'm sure he will open up more :)

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
How do you react to this behavior? Do you hesitate at all when you pick him up? When he bounces at you, do you react? If you do, stop. Easier said than done, but reacting only reinforces his fear/hesitance in being picked up. Your best course of action is to just scoop him up when he behaves that way and get the process over with.

Some hedgehogs always are a little defensive in the process of being picked up but are fine afterwards. Some are only defensive when they are in their cage, others all the time. It may be something you just have to learn with as that is the personality of that hedgehog.

Being picked up by something that is huge is scary, they may want to eat you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My hedgehog usually hisses and curls if I try to pick her up, so I put my fingers closer to her face and wait for her to stick her nose out to sniff me. Then she uncurls (likely thinking, "Wait, I know this person!" XD) and I scoop her up from underneath.

It took me a while at first, I'd have to lean over her cage for 10 minutes or so in the beginning (10 minutes feels like a loooong time when you're on your knees and leaning over at an odd angle) but now she's quite used to this and it probably doesn't even take me a minute to pick her up even with the 'waiting' period for her to uncurl. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
What really changed Scrizzie virtually overnight is when she moved into her large play pen that allowed me to sit in it with her. I think being in her environment each day versus her out in my environment really helped a lot. Once I went into her environment she started climbing all over me, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hedgehogs don't have good vision so it probably startles her every time you go to pick her up. I have a little song I sing to Charlotte before I pick her up and it lets her know its me and that I am going to pick her up so she isn't startled and stays calm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts