Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recently adopted an older hog (3yo) from his previous owner who is moving to Australia, where they aren't allowed. He seems to really love super-worms, but has a tendency to gag on them a little. I suspect his bite/teeth aren't as good as they once were, and he's swallowing it a little too intact.

Mealworms go down smoother, but he doesn't seem as excited by them. I haven't tried crickets or other insects yet.

I've considered cutting the super worm into smaller pieces. I don't know how palatable I'll find that, but I may give it a shot. The pet store suggested I could refrigerate them for a bit to make them less squirmy if I want to do that, or freeze them briefly if I want them to be less gushy.

Anyone cutting up superworms? what should I expect? ;) Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,123 Posts
Yea try putting them in the fridge for a while before you need them then cut off their heads and feed it should help it could be that the worm is biting him causing him to gag.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey there! I’m probably of no help here, but just pinch em in half lol. I used to be sooo grossed out by supers but after working with them a few years I got way used to them! Since you did just get him and he is definitely adult age, yes highly consider a vet appointment just to make sure everything’s in tip top shape! I’d probably do that before manhandling the worms haha
Hope this helps 🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW, we did end up taking him to the vet and his gums on the upper and lower left side seem pretty inflamed, covering up his teeth (although it's possible that the teeth are missing there, can't tell).

The vet said it could be oral cancer, but that's usually something with more of a focal point, so could also be just dental disease or something temporary. He has antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, and we'll see how it goes. I may work up to cutting superworms, or we may just take super-worms out of his diet. We've also been wetting his kibble to make it easier to eat, and he's clearly eating better than before at least.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
Good luck. Hopefully the meds help. We had a girl who I was certain had cancer, so was my vet. Her gum was inflammed, and swollen much like you described. She also had a growth show up pretty quickly that she was biting and causing to bleed. We had the growth removed and sent it off for a histopathology. Came back as not being cancer but dental disease/gum overgrowth and the growth was a polyp.

When I talked to my vet about what our options were, he laughed and said if she was a cat or dog I'd tell you to brush her teeth every day. I asked him what to use, he recommended a toothpaste and that is exactly what we did. She hated it at first, but we found the chicken flavored toothpaste on the tip of a qtip was quite ok by her and she allowed it to be done daily. We didn't exactly brush her teeth, but got a couple of good swipes down a side each day. Her gums were never perfect, but they got better.

Good luck. Keep us updated on his progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts