Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocko certainly has himself a sense of humor. I swear he thinks it's funny to get all snuggly with me while I watch TV, only to look down and find that he's left me a stinky "gift" and has abandoned me for the blanket next to me.

He also really enjoys entertaining me by running Figure 8's when he's excited about something. I peeled a blueberry and gave it to him the other day. It was the first time he ever ate a blueberry, and he just started running in circles! I wasn't sure what to think, but he was making happy whistling noises and he came back to me, sniffing around as if to say, "Okay, that was great, I want another!" He also does this sometimes after anointing, which makes for a very funny show.

Of course, he also has things he finds funny which I'm not at all amused by, such as his love for pooping in his food dish. I have to check several times a day to make sure he hasn't used his food bowl as a potty, and I find myself cleaning it pretty often. He knows exactly what he's doing, too, because he pushes all his kibble to the other side of the bowl before doing it!

When I decided to get a hedgie, I had no idea how intelligent they were or how charming their little personalities can be. After having Rocko only a short period of time, I'm amazed at his silly little personality traits. Even the messy ones :lol:

Any other funny hedgies out there?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Of course he abandoned you after leaving you the "Gift"....
You smelled funny! lol jk

One of mine use to poop in her food bowl.
Now she comes out to eat then takes a nap IN her food bowl! just curls right up in it. :?

I think she's just being lazy.
Because she will wake up after her nap in the bowl and eat some more and then...

Take another nap! In the food bowl.

So you see she's just saving her much needed energy.
She could of use up a lot of energy walking the 1.5 feet to her food! :roll:

Hedgies are so silly, And amazing at the same time!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My favourite silly thing Quigley does is something we call the blanket monster.

When he's a blanket monster he drapes his fleece blanky over himself so that he is completely covered and runs around his playpen like that. playing with toys and eating his food. It's so funny to watch. Even better is when I take the blanket away and he uses an egg carton instead. Sometimes even with the blanket in the playpen he prefers the egg carton. Picture a hedgehog running all over, sleeping and eating with an egg carton upside down over his back (protecting him!) lol. Sometimes he'll flip it over and then nap in it. We call this the cheese burger because he looks just like a fast food container.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ivan likes to pounce on my hair. I'll be sitting on the couch holding him in my lap and he'll slowly make his way up onto my shoulder. If I look at him, he'll freeze in place... like I won't be able to see him if he's not moving. :roll: Once he gets to my shoulder, he waits until I'm not looking and then he'll pounce on my hair and chew on it. Every time I look at him he stops and waits until I'm not looking and then he'll pounce again.

He's so funny... he'll do this as long as I let it go on. I guess that my hair is yummy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When Harvey is running on his wheel in his playpen or cage and I'm watching he always forgets I'm there and freezes very suddenly when I move or make a noise (often ends up nearly falling of the wheel) he stays completey still staring at me until I say "its ok its only me", he starts running straight away and forgets I'm there again and the whole process is repeated the next time I move. Its sweet the way my voice comforts him though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Olive will:

- After leaving a 'surprise' in her blankie on my lap she'll run up on my shoulder

- When running on her wheel, she'll hop off every few seconds, check on certain things in her cage (usually walks over to her house door, peeks inside, makes sure her food/water bowls are ok) and then hops back on and continues along.

- If I get up in the middle of the night to pee and she's out and about I'll walk over and stick my finger through the bars of her cage. She'll trot right over and give me a little chomp, but it's a little friendly, gentle, hello-type chomp. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Riley chirps when he hears me talking while I'm playing my online game. If I show him his favorite pouch he crawls right in and sleeps on my lap in it. Now he has started chirping while on my lap, I'm playing the game, so I put my hand in the pouch and lay it on him, rubbing his tummy. My bf teases me that eventually I wont even play the game, I'll just have the headset on talking and rubbing a hedgie tummy instead. ;)

Riley also loves my hair, but he's too rough, I'll be bald if I keep letting him root in it.

I have not gotten to see them play but their toys are moved in the mornings to all different places so I'm assuming they are playing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yesterday's bonding session ended up with with me holding Ender in my left hand on my stomach while trying to play on the laptop with the right hand. He'd had his session with my mom and was trying to get comfortable on the couch next to my leg. I guess it was a bad day for that b/c I looked down and he was staring up at me and huffing a little.

I took it to mean "I can't get comfy mom and I don't like it" so I picked him up and did the left hand/tummy thing. He went right to sleep. Soo sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have a story since I don't have a hedgie yet, but OMG I can't wait till I get my own when I hear your stories :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
ill take rataxus out to bond and such and i like to lay on my side and play on the laptop while she plays in the blankets on my bed when shes done exporing she will curl up and fall asleep in my armpit...every time lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vern, who we just lost a week or so ago, had a teddy. There was no other word for it. We got him a red catnip mouse for his cage, and no matter where we hid it after a cleaning, within a day or so, it was back in his igloo with him, curled up among his blankies. We never saw him actually move it, but even if we took it out again, he would move it back overnight.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Aww, that's precious, gml. Sorry for your loss but maybe your next one will appreciate the snuggly as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Gml- I am sorry for your loss as it sounds like you had a very cuteand loving hedgie. My thoughts are with you.

A funny thing Pequop likes to do is bite my jewelry... while it is still on me!!! :shock: In the early mornings, I snag her for some "exploring" time and lay her on my tummy. She goes straight for my belly button ring!!! Then she gnaws on that bit (ouchie!!!) and makes her way up to my neck and starts munching on my earring studs (which are 100% silver as I have an allergic reaction to nickel/fake metals) and can I hear her purring and whiffling right in my ear. :lol: I only let this last so long, but I just find it hilarious that I have a magnetic hedgie! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Dizzy will play peek-a-boo with my mom. I'll let him sit on my stomach with my hand for support (I'm rather rotund so he tends to slide). He'll peek of my hand at my mom them she'll make a face at him and he'll pop back down for a few seconds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone else's hedgie ever anointed with your breath?

My girl will stick her face up and sniff mine or my fiance's breath if she's on our lap, and when she's in her cage I see her sniffing the air toward me when I get close and talk to her.

But one night my fiance had been eating fruit Tic-Tacs and he was holding her and talking to her and she started sniffing his breath and anointed with it! It was so funny!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any time I pick Macey up out of her cage, when I put her back in, she has to go eat some kibbel. Every time. No matter if I just pick her up real quick to say hello and set her down or if I take her out for snuggles. Without fail, she heads straight for her kibble dish and will munch on a few pieces and then go lay down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any time I pick Macey up out of her cage, when I put her back in, she has to go eat some kibbel. Every time. No matter if I just pick her up real quick to say hello and set her down or if I take her out for snuggles. Without fail, she heads straight for her kibble dish and will munch on a few pieces and then go lay down.
Mine does the same thing, except he goes straight for his wheel. He could be out running around for a couple hours and he'll still head straight for the wheel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts