Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I credit everyone who contributed to this list on the old forum, especially iamdbf who started the list to begin with and jumbled it all into 1 messy post every so often :p . I am simply reorganizing it here.

Generally fruits will be given raw and veggies cooked. Frozen food is too hard for hedgies so make sure that if frozen fruits/veggies are used that they are thawed out well.

The items in the blue section are safe, the red are things to avoid.

Fruits-Cherry, Apple, Watermelon, Bannanna, Pears, Strawberry, Cantaloupe, Papaya, Mango, Peaches, Pumpkin, Squash, Honeydew, Cranberries, Rasberry, Blackberry, Plum, Blueberry (remove the skin it can be a choking hazard.)

Veggies- Carrots, Sweet Potato, Raddish, Turnip, Green Pepper, Asparagus, Corn (unseasoned), Broccoli, Peas(the mushy part inside),

Fruits- Grapes, Raisins, Avocados, Oranges, Lemons, Lime, Grapefruit,Pineapple.

Veggies - Onions, Lettuce, Garlic, Chives, Mushrooms ( see my post on the 6th page), Tomatoe

:!: Anything with small seeds presents a choking hazard and overly acidic fruits are definitely not good for hedgies :!:

Things Not Sure Of -Cucumber,Beans, Cauliflower, Zuchini, Cabbage, Celery, Pomogranete (take the seeds out of the umm... seeds?), Coconut, Kiwi, Starfruit

·
Registered
408 Posts
Cool. It feels good that i was the main person to list this on the last forum. Wanna list do's and don'ts of meat to? im my fruit and veggie list post, that was mentioned some too. Another thing to add to unsure : pomegranite pieces without the seeds.(basically the fruit part peeled of of it)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be better to start that on a new thread I think unless we could get this topic renamed. If you want to feel free or if you'd rather not I can.

Great idea for the post, I just hope you don't feel I stole it :p

·
Registered
754 Posts
We tried to get everything that we felt was important from the old forum. I guess this list was missed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tristen said:
It would be better to start that on a new thread I think unless we could get this topic renamed. If you want to feel free or if you'd rather not I can.

Great idea for the post, I just hope you don't feel I stole it :p
I didn't feel you stole it, but for future reference, if over 50% of a post contributed by one persons post, they probably should be credited. :D oh god! i have rabies! mouth foam!(look, no lines to show teeth)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yup. One of my funniest moments was in that post.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unsafe For good reason too...
oh god! i can't dear look at it!!! Its too horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![attachment=0:3arvtf5k]artd.jpg[/attachment:3arvtf5k]

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
hahaha thats great picture iamdbf!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks. the link on page 1 shows the other time i posted that. lolz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tristen said:
Things Not Sure Of - Lettuce, Plum, Garlic, Cucumber, Rasberry, Blackberry, Broccoli, Honeydew,Beans, Cauliflower, Zuchini, Cabbage, Celery, Onions (Pretty sure they are bad, just making sure), Pomogranete (take the seeds out of the umm... seeds?)
I'm pretty sure I read on the old forum that lettuce and cucumber are definitely not good, but that cooked broccoli was ok. (I'm not an expert though.)

I have fed honeydew to my hedgie a couple times in the past; she likes it a lot and hasn't had any problems with it. It seems very similar to cantaloupe and watermelon, so I'm assuming it's fine.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Garlic and onions should not be fed to any animal.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_ask_peoplefood
Interesting that onions aren't on that list. I was certain onions were toxic but maybe they just upset their stomachs. I still wouldn't feed them.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants

Full list:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc

Edited to add:

I found the info on oninons here.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_dyk

Onions, Garlic, Chives

Did You Know… Onions, garlic, chives and other species of the plant genus Allium can be potentially toxic to pets?

Allium species contain sulfur compounds known as disulfildes, which if ingested in large quantities can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could even result in damage to red blood cells. While cats are more sensitive to disulfides, dogs and other species of animals are also susceptible to Allium poisoning if enough plant material is consumed. Therefore, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises companion animal owners to avoid feeding pets onions, garlic and other Allium plants.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KatieG said:
Tristen said:
Things Not Sure Of - Lettuce, Plum, Garlic, Cucumber, Rasberry, Blackberry, Broccoli, Honeydew,Beans, Cauliflower, Zuchini, Cabbage, Celery, Onions (Pretty sure they are bad, just making sure), Pomogranete (take the seeds out of the umm... seeds?)
I'm pretty sure I read on the old forum that lettuce and cucumber are definitely not good, but that cooked broccoli was ok. (I'm not an expert though.)

I have fed honeydew to my hedgie a couple times in the past; she likes it a lot and hasn't had any problems with it. It seems very similar to cantaloupe and watermelon, so I'm assuming it's fine.
I did recall seeing somewhere that lettuce was too watery for them, I can't recall cucumber being mentioned though. If anyone else has heard about this, it would be great if you'd share it. :D

I did add honeydew to the safe list, I had thought I put it there before seeing as it is as similar as you mentioned and Pokey has had a few pieces of it before with no signs of it being bad.

Nancy, I did add onion and garlic to the unsafe list, I thought onion was but I couldn't recall ( I know I've seen somewhere that it was bad for dogs but I wasn't sure about hedgies).

Thanks for the contributions :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
What about mushrooms? Are those ok for hedgies to eat? Not, like, wild mushrooms, but ones that you buy at the store. My family buys them a lot, so I wondered if they would be ok for hedgehogs. They are canned, so they probably have a lot of preservatives in them, which is why I wasn't sure if it would be ok.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. Plus, I'm not sure if my hedgehog would like the taste of mushrooms. But I've seen so many hedgehog cartoons with mushrooms in them, so I thought maybe they ate them in the wild.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts