Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am looking for a new food for my hedgehog, since the one I got with my hedgehog was too high in fat%.

I researched that Fromm healthy weight gold was a good option! Protein 30% Fat 11%
But I did notice that cheese was listed in ingredients.. so I wasn’t sure if that would be an issue even if it is lower on the ingredients list. Any suggestions?

INGREDIENTS
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, White Rice, Salmon Meal, Dried Tomato Pomace,Potatoes, Oatmeal, Duck, Dried Egg Product,Chicken Fat, Millet, Cheese, Miscanthus Grass, Salmon Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast,Flaxseed, Oat Hulls, Chicken Liver, Alfalfa Meal, DL-Methionine, Vitamins, Chicken Cartilage, Chicory Root Extract, Salt,Monosodium Phosphate, Minerals, L-Carnitine,Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sodium Selenite, Taurine, Probiotics.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,123 Posts
Cheese isn't that low in the ingredients, its still fairly high.
Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant, like very intolerant, that might 1 day may do nothing. But after like 2 days it would likely cause issues.
Better to try find a different food that hasn't got cheese.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheese isn't that low in the ingredients, its still fairly high.
Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant, like very intolerant, that might 1 day may do nothing. But after like 2 days it would likely cause issues.
Better to try find a different food that hasn't got cheese.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dairy products are harmful not only to hedgehogs, but in general to any adult animals. I learned about this empirically when I was looking for the cause of the allergy in a cat. She loves milk and while she was drinking it, she was combing her neck until it bled. It turned out to be a reaction to lactose, which is found in milk. And she doesn't drink lactose-free milk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts