Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone, this is my first thread since I entered this wonderful community.
I have had my first hedgehog, Poppy, since the 1st of this month. I got her from a wonderful breeder and we already have a very close and trusting bond. On her first night, I noticed she was really excited and didn't want to be confined to her cage - which is completely natural and expected since it is fairly small - so I let her out.
Since then, this is how we roll - she has a small cage, which is always open, and she goes in it to sleep, drink water, and occasionally roll around on the cat litter. She goes in and out at will during day and night. During the day I also let her go to the other rooms in the house and visit the outside, and during the night she is closed in my bedroom, and she runs (she does have a wheel but just ignores it, she runs through my room), explores, and, rarely, plays with her toys. Aside from having to clean pee and poo (she was litter trained but I sort of ended up letting her do it anywhere) from sometimes unexpected places (even though she does have favourite "toilet" spots in the room), I find this to work the best for both me and her.
What do you think? Do you also let your hedgies go in and out of their cages as they please?:-D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Some people do it, but there are issues.
It's a better idea to hedgehog-proof a single room, rather than letting them use the whole house.
The main issue is they can get stuck somewhere and then go into hibernation. They can fit in pretty tight spaces, and there natural tendency is to burrow/hide.

The other issue is heat, but if you have central heating and are okay with having your house rather hot, then it's alright I suppose. Again, better to leave your house at a comfortable temperature, and simply heat one room for the hedgehog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Some people do it, but there are issues.
It's a better idea to hedgehog-proof a single room, rather than letting them use the whole house.
The main issue is they can get stuck somewhere and then go into hibernation. They can fit in pretty tight spaces, and there natural tendency is to burrow/hide.

The other issue is heat, but if you have central heating and are okay with having your house rather hot, then it's alright I suppose. Again, better to leave your house at a comfortable temperature, and simply heat one room for the hedgehog.
Thanks.
When she is out and about in the house, I am always keeping a close eye on her and close any holes she might enter and that I could not take her out of. And our home is always warm (usually even too warm for me, hahahaha, I'm definitely a Winter person!), just the perfect temperature to keep an healthy hedgehog.
:}

1 - 3 of 3 Posts