Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got Sage for a month, she's one years old (her previous owner told me) and quite jumpy and grumpy when I got her, she's quite a biter too. She's been doing well for three weeks, I used to give my hedgehog baths once a month so I decided to bath Sage. I only used warm water. So first I put her in a small tub to let her get familiar with the scent of the tub and surroundings, then I slowly pour in the water bit by bit so that she won't freak out (I use this method on my other hedgehog as well) cause I think that this might be the first bath she has ever got in her life. She was okay with the bath, when she's done I wrapped her in a towel gently and put on some olive oil so that her skin won't get dry. She was okay for the first few minutes and she was being all cuddly but then after that she started huffing and puffing and jumping. I have no idea why and what freaked her out cause I sat still on the chair and there were no sudden noises. I had to put her in her play box because she was huffing so much and jumping all about. Then when she's completely dry I put her back in her cage. I sat beside her cage and watched her, she was running around frantically, she kept on scratching her body and ears and head, shaking her head and Sometimes sliding along her tummy. I bathed her in the afternoon and in the evening I will give her food and change her water, she tried to bite me, and the bowl, and I have no idea why. Because I have a test this week I can't be monitoring her for the whole day, but I'm pretty sure she's been like this for the whole day and I'm worried. We have no vets in our area and if we have its going to be at least a two hour drive to get there and there's no way my dad would bring me there. I've been trying to approach her as quiet and calmly and possible but she just keep trying to bite and normally she doesn't, she has bitten speak once when she first got here but it's okay cause my scent might be unfamiliar to her. And I've also put an old shirt that I have worn for day into her cage to make her get used to my scent and after a few days she was okay with me handling her already (since the day she got here). I'm sorry this is long but I'm trying to get it as detailed as possible. Can it be water in her ear? If so what should I do? And my other hedgehog was completely okay and had no problems with me bathing him and after that. Or could it be mites? Or an ear infection? How do I know and what should I do? And how can I get her to calm down she hasn't been resting and I don't think she has cause she's still running about and being all frantic when I leave her cage and walked away. I don't want her to tire herself out so what can I do? It's been a day and I need help as soon as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and she also dropped a quill or two when i took her up from the tub and wrap her in the towel. I've read and they say that nervousness and stress causes a hedgehog to scratch and also quill loss might be because of mites or fleas. And on the day I bathed her I've changed her cage but that was in the morning, and I bathed her a few hours after and when I went to scoop her up she was still sleeping soundly in her igloo. I've been trying to get her used to the day instead of night so that's why I keep waking her up during the day, and at night I normally leave her alone. Her new cage is wired, not like her previous one, which is a big plastic box. She's now in my room in her playbox, which has walls like her previous cage, she seems fine now. But I still wanna know what that could be wrong with her.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
2 baths in a day? Or did you change the cage stuff then give her the only bath a few hours later?
Also they are nocturnal, trying to make them awake in the day could cause some issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read some articles and they say that if a hedgehog is infected with mites they will have flaky skin so I used a torch to shine on her back part and there's indeed some flaky stuff going on there, and she's scratching since the day I got her and I actually thought she was stressed, just that it worsened after I bathed her. And no wonder she's a big spiky ball of grumpiness. I wonder what shampoo I can use on her? The local pet shop here doesn't have a limited selection of pet shampoos and which kind is safe and mild enough for her and is able to get rid or the mites?? Please please help I am very very very worried :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 baths in a day? Or did you change the cage stuff then give her the only bath a few hours later?
Also they are nocturnal, trying to make them awake in the day could cause some issues.
I changed her cage stuff and then I only gave her a bath >_<

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And yep I know that trying to get them up in the day would cause some issues >_< but I'm trying to switch to daytime instead of night if you know what I mean hahah

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wouldn't jump to mites. You can do the dark cloth test to take a closer look, but if mites are present, you can only get rid of them by seeing a vet and getting medication (Revolution or, if absolutely necessary topical Ivermectin; never use injectable Ivermectin unless it is absolutely a last resort since it can cause death).

Really, I think it sounds like she has dry skin and hates the olive oil. You might have better luck with flax seed or coconut oil. I'd bathe her with water only or something like Aveeno baby wash (no shampoos; they will make the dry skin worse) and then introduce her to the oil to make sure it doesn't freak her out before you apply it to her skin and quills.

·
Registered
677 Posts
And yep I know that trying to get them up in the day would cause some issues >_< but I'm trying to switch to daytime instead of night if you know what I mean hahah
Please don't try to change your hedgehog into a diurnal animal. Doing so isn't fair to her and can significantly impact her health and well-being. It's okay to bond with her sometimes during the day -- I certainly bring mine with me on errands, allow him to sleep on me, and bathe him during the day -- but completely changing the natural cycle of a nocturnal animal is simply not good for the animal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't jump to mites. You can do the dark cloth test to take a closer look, but if mites are present, you can only get rid of them by seeing a vet and getting medication (Revolution or, if absolutely necessary topical Ivermectin; never use injectable Ivermectin unless it is absolutely a last resort since it can cause death).

Really, I think it sounds like she has dry skin and hates the olive oil. You might have better luck with flax seed or coconut oil. I'd bathe her with water only or something like Aveeno baby wash (no shampoos; they will make the dry skin worse) and then introduce her to the oil to make sure it doesn't freak her out before you apply it to her skin and quills.
She wouldn't let me touch her so I think I wouldn't be able to do that test on her &#128555;&#128555; I've been to the pet shop multiple times and I've never seen or heard about the brands you've mention &#128534;&#128534;&#128534; I've only seen them on articles and forums but never in real life, is there anywhere I can buy them online?
Ooh, okay I will try other oils then. And yeah I bathed her with warm water only but I heard that only water will dry the skin so that's why put oil on her skin >_< but my other hedge has no problems with that tho :/

·
Registered
677 Posts
Revolution is available only through a prescription from a vet, as is Ivermectin.

Aveeno Baby Wash is available in the baby section of most discount stores. It's just a baby wash that contains oatmeal for soothing the dry skin. A more accessible option for that is to place oats in a sock, run the bath water, switch the oat sock around in it, and use that for bathing. You don't really need soap. It's the soap that dries the skin. Water only or oatmeal baths are minimally drying, but whether they dry or not, you need get that oil off her. The oil is safe, but it really sounds like that's what causing her to freak out. She probably doesn't like the scent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please don't try to change your hedgehog into a diurnal animal. Doing so isn't fair to her and can significantly impact her health and well-being. It's okay to bond with her sometimes during the day -- I certainly bring mine with me on errands, allow him to sleep on me, and bathe him during the day -- but completely changing the natural cycle of a nocturnal animal is simply not good for the animal.
Ooh, I did this cause some articles wrote it's okay to do so.. Okay, I'll leave her alone during the day. Omg I sound like a such bad owner >___<

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Revolution is available only through a prescription from a vet, as is Ivermectin.

Aveeno Baby Wash is available in the baby section of most discount stores. It's just a baby wash that contains oatmeal for soothing the dry skin. A more accessible option for that is to place oats in a sock, run the bath water, switch the oat sock around in it, and use that for bathing. You don't really need soap. It's the soap that dries the skin. Water only or oatmeal baths are minimally drying, but whether they dry or not, you need get that oil off her.
Okay, so should give her an oatmeal bath tomorrow then cause it's night time now and it's pretty cold &#128534;

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Based on you saying torch instead of flashlight, I'm going to assume you live in Europe. Revolution is stronghold in Europe. Again most likely only available through the vet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on you saying torch instead of flashlight, I'm going to assume you live in Europe. Revolution is stronghold in Europe. Again most likely only available through the vet.
I'm from Malaysia haha, but still the state I live in only have one private animal clinic owned by only one vet and he's specialized in dogs and cats only :_:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And what should I do to make her not as grumpy cause my other hedgehog isn't this grumpy, he's only grumpy when I waken him up and other than that he's a ball of sunshine but Sage somehow doesn't like being handled or even the presence of me so what should I do to make her "like" me more??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And she's not in a frenzy anymore, she's been very calm but still grumpy since I put her in her playbox.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Mites can make a friendly hedgehog pretty grumpy, because they itch & don't feel good. However, hedgehogs are all different, and frankly, most of them would fall under the "grumpy" category for most people. It depends on two things - how much they're socialized and what their personality is in the first place. She might always be grumpy & defensive, and if so, you won't be able to change that. The best thing you can do is to spend time with her. In the evening is best, as was already mentioned. Have her out for at least half an hour every single day. If you can have her out longer, for 1-3 hours, even better! She will probably take weeks, even months to start to acclimate to you and calm down. It's just going to take time and patience. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts