Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions here....

Whenever i take cloud out of his cage and he is about to poo i immediatly put him back into his cage. Pretty much now whenever i take him out of his cage, he starts to poop. it's every time. has he figured out i'll leave him alone if he poops out of the cage?

also, i'd like to start being more social with Cloud. I'd like to take him out and play with him but i don't really know what to do with him out of the cage... he never seems happy. so do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Some will "train" you to put them back when they don't want to be held, by developing a usually undesirable habit. (pooping on you :) ) I've found if I take Inky out, hold him for a moment, and then set him in a box lined with paper towel outside his cage, he will do his business and then I can hold him again. Maybe that would work for you?

I find the most rewarding thing to do is just to sit and relax with them on you lap. Then, they can sleep, or get up and crawl on you, or whatever. I think we just enjoy the bonding stuff. Then again, that's just Inky's personality... you'll just have to find something you and Cloud like. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hes obviously figured out pooping = being left alone, and but it shouldn't be too hard to change. If you know about how long he's waiting before he goes just try to keep him somewhere that clean up is easy and do not put him back. I didn't have the problem myself so I'm not sure how long it would take to correct that.

As for what to do when he's out I don't really know. I tend to just let Pokey crawl around and explore and I keep a few toys out in case he wants to play or give him treats. It usually ends with him crawling into my shirt and going to sleep, and thats if he bothers to play at all... very rarely will he not even bother to explore. But I would assume it depends on Cloud's personallity and since hes pooping to be left alone I would rule him out as a cuddler(or at least a lot less likely), so for play time try getting some assorted toys if you don't already know what he likes or just set out what he likes if you do know. Him turning out to be more cuddly is always a possibility though.

GL :D

Edit- LG you beat me to it lol :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.