Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My hedgehog is about 7 months old and weighs around 240grams. He used to like to run around on the wheel, but I had to move him into my room since a friend had to stay at my place for a bit. He hasn't come out much of his house since then, probably because of my snoring? lol.

Anyways, he eats about 7grams of kibble a night, but I think he is kind of skinny. 240 grams and ) ( like shape. I was thinking about grinding up some kibble with water and trying to force feed him. I am using food right not with about 30% protein and 19%fat.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Force feeding any mammal is a very bad idea unless it is necessary for the animal to take in medicine along with food. Mammals tend to overstress easily if force fed. You could assist with handfeeding and if you still feel he looks skinny or underweight then you might need to get him checked up by a vet to see if there's an underlying condition

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Does he normally run a lot? He could just be a runner-type and need even more fat, but agreed that it could also be an underlying condition. 7 grams of kibble is a pretty decent amount, so I doubt it's due to him not eating enough. Force feeding likely wouldn't help in this case.

What kind of kibble are you feeding him? Do you give him any other foods or treats besides his kibble?

How long has been in your room due to the friend? Has he been eating like normal since then, and just not running, or has he decreased on everything? Is he staying warm enough in your room? And is there more light at night in your room than in his usual room?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok, I guess I don't wanna stress him out with force feeding lol..

I am using a Halo Salmon and Wellness Complete Health mixture. I meant that he used to eat 7 grams, and he has been ~240grams since I got him. I feed him about 5 mealworms a day thou. He won't eat anything else.

Since I put him in my room 2 weeks ago, he has been eating 5-7 grams, so not much of a drop. I don't notice him running much anymore and don't see much poop on the wheel. He comes out to eat and drink water and goes back into his igloo. I do hear him wheeling around 7am, but I don't think it is long. He used to run all night from 2ish to the morning.
I'm thinking that it probably is the snoring lol...

One thing I notice is that he has been licking his nose often. It has been happening for a month or 2. My other hedgehog had URI and still has not fully recovered. Maybe it got passed on? But I do not see any discharge. I am going to be getting some different anti-biotics for my other one, so I am gonna give this one some as well (was using clavamox, going to try Baytril now).

Guess there are too many possibilities lol. If nothing gets better and/or doesnt gain weight, guess I'll go back to the vet. lol

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Don't give him antibiotics without going to the vet & getting him his own prescription. No medication should be given to an animal without info from the vet, especially antibiotics, since if you don't use the right amount and for the right length of time, you can make things worse by killing on some of the bacteria and causing some to become antibiotic-resistant.

If I'm remembering (and looking in past threads) correctly, you've had this guy since he was a baby, right? I can't imagine that it's normal for him to have not grown at all since he was 2 months old. Some hedgehogs are tiny, yes, but generally there's still at least some growth up until around 6 months old. If he's been the same weight since you got him and seems underweight, I would head to the vet and see if you can get some bloodwork done and see if there might be something going on. However, I could be off on that, so if Nancy, Kalandra, or Nikki advise otherwise, listen to them - they have more hedgie experience than I do.

While you're at the vet, make sure you have them listen to his lungs and check out the respiratory system in general as well & see if they think he needs medication just in case of an URI as well. I don't think URIs are contagious among hedgehogs, but I can't recall for certain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts