Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
So I got Teddi dried mealworms right off and tried putting them in his food dish but he didn't seem to like them and it says to take them out if not eaten after a day.
So far he has just been eating kitten food and the occasional bug but I'm wondering if he might be wanting more? I put food in front of him but he just doesn't seem interested. Any ideas on what foods might be good for him/anything he might be missing in his diet?
He is happy and healthy right now so I'm not worried that I HAVE to change anything soon, but maybe giving him some variety would be good.
Oh! And I also have some wet cat food but haven't tried him on that yet. Think it would be worthwhile?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**** don't have the packaging anymore.
but he hasn't been gaining weight quickly or at an alarming rate so maybe the food is cat food instead of kitten. It's almost out anyway so I will have to get some new stuff.

·
Registered
581 Posts
you should try to remember what they are on, hedgehogs are very much prone to stress due to sudden changes so even when changing foods it should be done slowly. and please refer to reapers list in the nutrition forum for the proper foods to be feeding.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dorasdaddy I will definitely keep all that in mind for next time! I was just wondering are you talking about reapers good "Cat Food List" in the forum because that is not quite what I was referring to when asking for advice. I was just wondering foods like fruits, veggies, etc. I will however continue looking along the forums. Thank you for the referral.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
IN terms of fruits and veggies there is a list posted as a sticky in this section. It is titled fruits and veggies or something similar.

Variety is good for nutritional needs. Image only eating carrots every day of your life. Although they are healthy that wouldn't be a healthy diet because you need a variety of other nutrients that are not in carrots. It is similar for a healthy hedgehog you need to feed a variety of food.

If he doesn't eat the food right away don't feel too bad, keep offering it until he tries it. Only try one new food every couple of days in case he has a reaction (identified by green poop) that way you know what it was that caused the reaction and not to feed that food again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was some green poop. I know that this is not good but is it because of something he ate or perhaps is it something he is not getting/eating enough of?
I just want to be sure that he is getting all the different types of food and nutrition/protein that he needs.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
As I understand it green poop is usually the result of a new food or being in a new environment.

If you fed him a new food that's probably the cause and you shouldn't feed him the food again.

See this post by Nancy for more information viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57

1 - 8 of 8 Posts