Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to my hedgies first vet appointment the other day and they gave me a new food to start trying with him. He gave me Mazuri Mini Pack Insectivore Diet. I read Reaper's list and its on the bottom half. I was wondering if there were different kinds of this brand that could be okay and thats what the vet gave me. Why would the vet have given me something that is not healthy for my hedgehog? Here are the nutrition facts.

Crude protein(min.)......28.0%
Crude fat(min.)...........11.0%
Crude fiber(max.)........13.0%
Ash(max.)..................8.00%

I would really appreciate any type of input. He's on Pretty Pets now and i think he's been acclimated enough to start switching to new food. If Mazuri is not good can anyone give me an idea of what is? I heard Wellness was a good brand, but it's not at my local petsmart.

Another thing,
I wanted to start litter training. The litter is little pellots. Is there a risk that my hedgehog will try to eat them? I have been holding off on the litter training because of the fear of this.

Thank You!
Nicole

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Mazuri is on the bottom section of Reaper's post, and that means that it's no good for your hedgehog. Pretty Pets is also no good, in fact, it has killed hedgehogs in the past. You need to go out now to a pet store and find any one of the foods that's on the cat food list. It doesn't have to be Wellness, but you need to get something other than what you have now. Neither are good for African Pygmy hedgehogs, and I wouldn't feed them another night if I could get cat food.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think it has an artificial softening agent or preservative in it. I will look at the ingredients to be sure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nicole said:
I would really appreciate any type of input. He's on Pretty Pets now and i think he's been acclimated enough to start switching to new food. If Mazuri is not good can anyone give me an idea of what is? I heard Wellness was a good brand, but it's not at my local petsmart.
Hello.
Here is the link to Wellness Indoor. On the right is a store locator. Petco sells it online also.
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_well ... ealth.html
Mine LOVES his Wellness :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Just wanted to say that I looked at the ingredient list for the Mazuri food and it does have both BHA and ethoxyquin in it, so that's why it was in the bad food list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts