Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with the wellness grain free food 3 years ago mostly because of the size of the kibble being kind of small, so I didn't have to worry too much about choking. My hedgies poops have been the most rancid smelling thing I have ever smelled. You could smell them from the floor below me walking past the stairs. I switched to Beyond Simply Grain Free. I cant even smell their poop in the same room unless I'm on top of their cage. My problem is that one of my hedgies is a Creature who eats fast and doesn't chew well. There are large heart shaped pieced of kibble that she seems to be having trouble with. She isn't choking because she still can hiss at me when I pick her up to prepare to help. I think they just get lodged on the roof of her mouth since she makes exaggerated tounge movements with clicking noises. Still is mildly terrifying. Does anyone know of a kibble that is smaller and won't make their poops smell like before? I have been cutting her portions up which stops the problem. Is the kitten formula size smaller? I'll keep cutting up the kibble for the rest of their lives as long as that smell stays gone. The 8mage is the one that I have recently changed them to.

·
Administrator
3,605 Posts
Will she eat it if you add a little water to the kibble? With smaller hedgehogs I've quite often added 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of water to their kibble. It isn't enough to make it soggy, but enough to change its consistency so that its easy to break for smaller mouths.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure. I do know that she won’t eat her food if its not in her bowl weirdly enough. She’ll eat treats anywhere though. I’m worried about making her food soggy and just letting it sit there all night. It is just kind of a gross concept to me. I’ll try

1 - 3 of 3 Posts