Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, on the 14th I bought a 10 week old hedgehog. We have been feeding him the wellness weight control cat food. However, I didn't realize I was supose to mix in what he was eating prior to me getting him to gradually change his food. I didn't even ask the person I got him from what he was eating. My question is now that he has been eating this new food for six days should I do anything different? He seems to be doing well. He is also a picky eater. Any suggestions for supplementing his diet?? Thanks , Steph

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This is a hard one cause changes are supposed to be gradual. Im wondering if it might be best to keep him on whats he's been eatting the last 6 days so that there isn't another change. Hopefully there will be more people to answer on this because its hard to know whats the best way to go from this point. Im thinking though to switch back now would just be another change that could cause stomach upset.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There's not much you can do about it now.

Just keep watch over his poops. I would personally suggest no treats for another 2-3 weeks, and don't even bother with adding another food to the mix for another 2-4 weeks. But, that is just my preference, as I like to err on the side of caution. The extra time would allow for you to closely monitor his health, perhaps even stock up on a can of unseasoned pumpkin or squash baby food(unless you have a store near you that's open 24/7).

Afterwards, being a picky eater, you could try adding Natural Balance green pea and duck into the mix, that's always a hit with many hedgies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts