Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be getting a pair of two year old hedgie rescues. they have been together since very young and get along great. the owner has kept them on purina kitten chow forever though. i was wanting to put them on an adult indoor formula. will this cause any issues since they are older. i will do it gradually of course but i am concerned. what food do ya recomend. i tried reading through the food list but found it confusing. so i would love a concesus of waht is being fed by members.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Congrats on the hedgies and welcome to HHC!

Now, as for what foods most here feed...The most popular brands seem to be Wellness, Natural Balance, Frommes, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, Solid Gold, Blue Spa Select and Royal Canin. (You can check Reaper's list of cat foods for the exact names of the food, but these are the most popular brands)

Halo Spots Stew(at 16% fat) is also a popular choice for hedgies who need a bit more fat, and the kibble sizes are very small.

You may find that they might be reluctant to change, as the kitten food is MUCH higher in fat, and so, it may seem tastier to them. But don't give up and make it a slow gradual change, and they should be fine.

I was just wondering, are both hedgies females?
Also, even though they have gotten along great, be sure to always have 2 wheels and 2 sleeping spots for them, as sometimes, they just need their own personal space. (I know I'm like that with my sisters :lol: )

I'm sure that other owners can add to how best to keep older hedgies, since my boy only just turned 1 year old and he's my first hedgie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually they are both males. and i know people will say they will fight. that is what i thought. but the owner has had them together since she got them at a young age. she said they get along great and never fight. we shall see once when they get home if that is true. i have no problem getting a second cage if they do fight. she said one uses the wheel while the other never does. i wonder if one is underweight and that is why. again we shall see.
i am going to keep them on the kitten food for a few days once they get home and then spend a few weeks switching them over.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Im no expert but from what i've read on here you aren't supposed to put 2 hedgies together whether male or female, especially not males, as they may never have fought in the past, but if they did, it could result in death. Also with 2 hedgies you are supposed to have 2 of everything i.e food bowls, wheels etc. But i think the best thing is to buy a seperate cage and seperate them for their own benefits. They will be much happier having more room to themselves :) and the potential is never there for one to get seriously hurt.

Reapers food list is very confusing, ha, i found it so confusing when i first read it. Best thing is to read the percentages of what is recommended in each item i.e the % of protein and % of fat and look for that on the back of cat food on shelves in shops. Thats what i did and found the only ones which matched up were ones off his list.

Hope you manage to sort it out :)

And congrats on your two new family members!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Any cat or dog (small breed size will have smaller kibble) is ok to feed to a hedgehog if it meets these criteria:

No corn products as a main ingredient

No animal by-products as a main ingredient

Protein: about 30%

Fat: varies depending on the hedgehogs, about 15% for normal, about 20% for runners, about 10% for overweight ones

Fiber: the higher the better

Some good brands that you can usually find at stores like PetsMart include Royal Canin and Blue Spa Select (also called Blue Buffalo sometimes).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i went to a petsmart near me and i was pretty disappointed with what they had. the one i was leaning towards most was the authority. i did not buy it. i will wait till i make it to a petco to see if they have better. but i am not going to lie i have always been a fan of nutro and authority foods.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Authority IS on Reaper's list(last I checked anyways) So it's still a decent food(but it's also a food that is better in a mix with an even better quality food).

I'm pretty sure that PetSmarts also have Blue Spa Select/Blue Buffalo, and that's one of the better foods.

Also, may I make a suggestion about housing?
Have you owned hedgehogs before? I am asking because, as a new(er) owner, one might not be able to distinguish between "Play" and "aggression". And sometimes, by the time you would realize that it's not all "play" it might be too late. Also, change in environment may also bring about a change in temperament.

However, that being said, I am also glad that you say that you have no problems with separating them if it comes down to that.

Although, it may end up being that you have to separate them because of the different dietary needs that they need. Perhaps one would be a runner type and need the higher fat food, while the other would LOOK at food and gain weight :lol: thus needing a diet that is much lower in fat.

So it will be a bit of trial and error in that sense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i looked and the cat food section was pretty pathetic but i think that is cause it is a smaller petsmart. some carry more than others.
i really have no issue putting them in seperate cages. it will change which cages i get since i have to make more room but really it is no issue. my pets get all the best.
i worked with a couple of hedgies years ago but never had one of my own. have wanted one for years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts