Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this before but didn't get any replies so I thought I would try again.

Tama is currently on a babyfood/ground turkey/mealie diet and I would LOVE to get her on a kibble diet since there are some nights when I just can't get home early enough to wash out the dishes and put new stuff out and I would feel better knowing that she has something to eat if she was hungry.

I have been trying to wean her onto kibble slowly by introducing ground up kibble into her mix but when there is too much kibble to her taste, she won't eat. the whole reason why she is on the mix right now is b/c she refused to eat the kibble the breeder sent home with her and was starving herself. What should I do?

Another reason is that I'm worried she is getting too much protein in her diet. I mix up 2 jars turkey and gravy baby food w/ 1/2 jar of green peas, 1/2 jar of carrots, 1Tbl of ground up cereal (i think it's called grape nuts?), cooked broccoli diced fine, and some cooked ground turkey for texture. (she won't eat any fruits I've introduced her to and she won't eat vegs unless they are hidden or mixed with meat)

I bought 4 different types of kibble from Reaper's list and mixed them, and she has annointed with 2 types but that's it. I always provide a dish of the kibble mixed with the stuff the breeder gave just in case she decides to try it. but no luck.

any ideas?

·
Registered
250 Posts
What was the brand that the breeder gave you to feed her?

I would provide another bowl of just the kibble mix and slowly scale back what you currently give her instead of trying to mix it together.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It might seem a bit cruel, but try offering nothing but the soft food mixed with the crushed food for a night or two. You know she'll eat it with a small amount, maybe she just needs a little push. I wouldn't try it longer than two nights without eating, though.

Heating up the food can make it seem more appetizing, also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried providing my kibble mix, I have tried the breeder's kibble mix, I tried two separate bowls together and counted, and a mixed of both. no good.

I did try mixing the ground up with the baby food but after a few nights I scaled back the ground kibble b/c she decided she would rather not eat than eat that. If I put more than about 3 pinch fulls of kibble into the mix, she would rather starve.

:( very picky eater.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Have you tried the sea food based cat foods. Sometimes the smellier stuff is more interesting. As least anointing shows that she is interested and might possibly eat some once it is not such a new taste/smell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't tried canned seafood yet b/c I read somewhere that her poop will really stink. she has "odor" problems :oops: and has been quilling recently so I had been avoiding having to bathe her too many times but I can try that. Do you mean the kibble with seafood or the canned seafood tho? The new mix I made has kibble with seafood in it already. Otherwise, I do have a few canned cat food on hand but I figured the whole point was weaning her onto dry kibble and canned cat food would be just the same as the baby food mix I'm giving her... or is it not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts