Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing to remember: though hedgies have somewhat similar nutritional needs to cats, they're not the same. Probably the biggest difference is fiber sources - hedgies need much more fiber than cats do. So if an ingredient that's mainly used as a source of fiber is listed in red for cats, it's probably perfectly good for hedgies. To an extent this also applies to other plant sources. I think corn gets a worse rap than it really deserves. Obviously you don't want the first three ingredients to be corn meal, corn flour, and corn grits, but I think in a certain quantity it is of some value to hedgies. Note that corn gluten meal is a different beast altogether - it's actually a source of protein. It's a lower quality protein than you'd get from good meats, but it's not horrible.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gluten meals whether corn wheat etc. are ingredients to boost protein levels artificially. And the Chinese learned if you add toxic melamine you can boost those levels even more. Too bad if it kills your animal. But wow look at the protein that cost mere pennies. So to play it safe I personally prefer a food that doesn't seem to be so "engineered". While you can't avoid food fragments and fillers altogether you can choose a diet that greatly reduces these and stays within the price range of the inferior brands. All it takes is a little effort to read the labels and understand what the ingredients are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts