Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds stupid, does any body know a link to go to food choices that hedgehog can eat? I found the dry cat food list, but not like fresh, etc? Also, how many mealies does a hedgehog could eat every day?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Here's a list of fruits & veggies that are safe/not safe. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fruit+veggie
Number of mealies depends on your hedgehog's body shape. If you have a runner, then you can feed more, like 5-6 a day. If your hedgehog is more prone to putting on weight, or doesn't need the extra calories to keep their weight steady, 1-2 a day is fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I see somewhere on the forum that you can feed hedgehog baby food. Is there a list around there about that also? Anything related to food would be great, so I can get into feeding my 10 weeks old some new food.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yes, baby food is a good treat to offer, if the hedgehog will eat it. You can pretty much feed whatever fruits/veggies that are on the list I posted, just in baby food form. Lily likes the green peas baby food, and baby applesauce. You can also feed the chicken/turkey variations of baby food too.

If you want to find more information about foods and treats, just go through the topics that are in this section, diet & nutrition. There's plenty of posts about baby food and other foods to offer.

Also, keep in mind that you should only introduce one new food at a time, whether it's a dry cat food for the main diet, or a fruit/veggie/meat for treats. You don't want to upset the hedgehog's stomach by giving too many new things, and if there's an allergic reaction, it's easier to tell which food caused it. You may find that your hedgehog doesn't want to try new foods, so you might have to offer the same food several times before he/she will try it. They may never try it at all. Some hedgehogs refuse to eat anything other than their cat food and mealworms/crickets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts