Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zoe has had mites and has lost quite a bit of weight; she's always been super small but you can tell she needs to gain some weight after all this. Shes at 227 grams but was only at about 250/260 before all of this.

I've seen many other posts about this topic but most say to change the type of food to a higher fat content kibble but she eats Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken cat food and is pretty set on that but I can see if she will change however it is not likely (that has 30% protein and 12% fat). I have mixed feelings about the Natural Balance; I have seen on many posts that it is a good healthy food and then on others i've seen people blast it for not having enough fat percentage. Is there a better brand I can buy for her and see if she will eat it?? I am up to trying a mix of food like I have seen on other posts as well.

I also have heard of wax worms helping with weight gain but wasn't sure if they were freeze-dried or what brand to buy. Would feeding her chicken help? And what type of meal worms are best for her? I just ran out of a can of freeze-dried mealworms but have recently heard those are not the best kind. Any other food that I can give her or what you gave your hedgehog to bulk them up a little bit??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The picture of the dollar bill was today and the other was from two years ago when she was feeling very square-like that day for reference.

She is spiked up and laying flat in the second picture so she normally didn't look that big but I couldn't find another picture from the top other than that one

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Have you tried any canned food? Those are often higher in fat & might be something to add in to her diet.

For mealworms, you can get either live or canned. Both can be found at pretty much any pet store, but you can also order online if you want. Amazon has canned insects. I like Rainbow Mealworms for live insects - they have both mealworms & waxworms.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Freeze dried insects aren't good for hedgehogs so like lilysmommy said you can get canned or live insects. You can also try adding a bit of kitten food to her cat food and see if that helps. I fed the Natural Balance in my mix and didn't have any issues with it. The fat levels aren't to low in it, 12% is a good fat percentage for an average hedgehog.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you tried any canned food? Those are often higher in fat & might be something to add in to her diet.

For mealworms, you can get either live or canned. Both can be found at pretty much any pet store, but you can also order online if you want. Amazon has canned insects. I like Rainbow Mealworms for live insects - they have both mealworms & waxworms.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but are these ok to feed my hedgie?

https://www.amazon.ca/Flukers-78001...UTF8&qid=1517453607&sr=8-5&keywords=mealworms

1 - 6 of 6 Posts