Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I just rescued a little hedgie from a home that couldn't keep him anymore. He's about four months old, and he's already got his set up with everything they already had for him. The only thing missing, however, is a wheel.

I'm trying to find the right wheel for my little Thursday, and came across the Flying Saucer. Looks nice, sounds nice (quiet), but is it right for my guy? I've heard a few comments on its possible safety hazards for hedgies, brought on by the fact that they aren't running on a flat surface, like other wheels.

What are your stories/experiences with the Flying Saucer, and what would you recommend?

I love this little guy. He's got some work ahead of him, getting used to his new home (and getting rid of his icky dry skin... we're watching for mites. Haven't spotted any. Hopefully they aren't present and he just needs a diet adjustment and a nice oatmeal bath). I just want to make sure he has the best new life ahead of him possible.

Let me know what you might have to offer! Thursday and I thank you so much!

-Thursday's Girl

·
Registered
651 Posts
As far as "pet store" wheels go, Flying saucers are definitely on the safe list.

However there have been some concerns about hedgies developing future joint issues due to the legs crossing over when they run on them / sideways running that hedgies do on them. http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4106&p=33044&hilit=flying+saucer#p33044 That being said a lot of HHC members still use them and there's no immediate threat to the hedgie's health. I know some members offer their hedgehog 2 wheels (the flying saucer and an upright wheel) to give them a choice.

Another concern I have read is that some hedgies tend to slip on their own feces/urine while running on the wheel due to the sideways angle. http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4014&p=32393&hilit=flying+saucer#p32393

Another wheel you could consider is the upright "Comfort wheel" from the pet store. They do need to be secured to the side of the cage though otherwise they're a bit unstable and they are a bit squeaky. Just make sure you don't buy a Silent Spinner or any non-solid running surface wheels or wheels that have crossbars that could poke your hedgehog.

But the best hedgie wheels are definitely custom made ones. You can look up how to make your own bucket wheel on here, if you're handy with tools. Or there are a few members selling their own wheels. Just go to the Classified "for sale" board and you'll see a few posts for cake-topper style wheels. I just ordered 3 Carolina Storm wheels myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! I'll probably get him one at a pet store soon, seeing as he needs one in his little home. So out of the ones available at pet stores, FS is my best choice? I was considering making one myself, but was unsure whether I should just buy one for him at the nearest store.

Poor little guy hasn't had a wheel in all of his four months!

I know getting him one will put him on the road to complete health.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have used Flying Saucers and love them. The only downside I see is the potential joint problems that Nancy and a few other members have brought up, so I always try to offer a regular upright wheel along with the flying saucer, or switch them out each month or so, so the hedgie isn't always on the FS. I personally think they are silent, hedgies seem to really like them, they are easy to clean, and very portable (that's when I mainly use them). If you want to go with a pet store wheel they'd be my first choice, with a Comfort Wheel in a close second (they are just louder and more difficult to clean I've found).

If you decide to go with a very nice (and reasonably priced) custom made wheel I'd highly recommend over any commercially made wheel, a cake top style wheel. There are a few members here that make and sell them, they will probably chime in. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have two flying saucers and I really like them. My hedgies use them every night.

Just a suggestion: put something like the rubbery shelf liner underneath the base or it slides around too much on a flat smooth surface. I have a cookie sheet, then the shelf liner, then the flying saucer. The cookie sheet catches most of the mess of their droppings (they poop as they run) rather than having to change out the bottom liner of the cage every day.

Another suggestion: I like to grab the saucer part and put it in a bucket of soapy water to soak all day. Then when I arrive home in the evening everything rinses off really easily. I use hot water to rinse them, but cold water to soak in since the water would cool off anyhow during the day. Scrubbing a freshly used wheel or saucer can be time consuming, their poop is like glue sometimes, ha! Gross. I only wash the base if there's something visibly on it, otherwise just weekly when I wash the entire cage.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I love the Cake Cover wheels and think they are the greatest :) They are quiet, super easy to clean and very sturdy. I have a homemade one but if I were to buy one I'd check out Larry T's, he has some great ones and from the feedback I've heard he has great customer service.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love them, mainly because I think they're so much CLEANER. You will find out, shortly, that hediges POOP on their wheels a LOT lol... With a conventional wheel, pee and poop lands, and gets spun up to the top, where it inevitably drips-- onto your hedgie. With the flying saucer, the poop in confined to UNDER them instead of ON. Plus, the angle of wheel makes all of the poop collect and stay in the center, so the hedgie's feet don't even get hard core poopy. Then it's really easy to lift the saucer part off and soak it. Beck loves his :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.