Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figure I'd start this up- seeing I found most people here use the CSW wheels. I opted for a more- well accessible wheel to me at the time. (Meaning my credit card was mia, and the pet smart is right across from my house)

I am yet to really find any problems with this wheel. I heard some people say it can cause hip problems of the sorts (or something) when it comes to bigger hedgies. Zephyr seems to do fine on his. The wheel part pops off real easy to clean, and doesn't make any noise. Only problem was (when i used fresh n comfy for litter) he often drag litter with him- I don't know how- and get it in his wheel, and when he ran it threw the pieces about.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I bought a few of the wheels when I got my first hedgies, they seemed ok but for fear of hip and joint problems I quit using them cause to me it wasn't worth taking a chance. :)

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
I completely dislike these wheels. The one that came with one of my hedgehogs was far from quiet. She is a very tiny hedgehog and runs extremely fast. Once given a bucket wheel, she seemed to run even faster and didn't want to go back to the flying saucer.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have two Flying Saucers but only one hedgehog that will use it. Over the years that I've had the Flying Saucers I have tried them with numerous hedgehogs and only found two petite gals that would use them. Both Miki and Pebbles seemed to love the flying saucer.

They are very easy to clean and are silent. I agree completely that there is a risk of joint problems especially with a hedgehog that only runs one direction. Those that switch directions wouldn't put quite as much wear and tear on the joints.

When buying a wheel, I would choose a conventional bucket style wheel over a flying saucer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Petunia uses a Flying Saucer. She seems to really enjoy it, runs like crazy most nights. No noise aside from the pitter patter of little feet :D I also find it easy to clean, and have never had poo flinging issues. I may eventually try a bucket wheel to see what she thinks of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a flying saucer wheel in addition to a CSW. Stub likes to switch back and forth between the two all night long, which makes me feel better about any possible joint problems caused by the using the flying saucer exclusively. They flying saucer is very easy to clean, basically silent, and Stub loves it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried a flying saucer, and my girl hedgie loves it. She ran so much that her paws were raw. It's quiet too. But I'm worried about the angle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have both the flying saucer and comfort wheel and Hugo uses both of them. I did notice that he runs on the comfort wheel more often but he liked the flying saucer as well. I love the flying saucer because it is so easy to clean. I've been told that bigger hedgies have troubles running on it which I can understand, when I first got it I was so confused and was thinking that he would fall off of it but I saw him running one night and it was completely fine.
Just thought I'd give me review :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the flying saucer for Diggory and so far it is working out great. I may switch to a CSW when he gets bigger but I want to make this one last for awhile. That link about the hedgie breaking its leg makes me really nervous but couldn't a hedgehog fall off any wheel? I noticed at first that diggory was stumbling off this one a lot but I don't think he does it anymore (of course he never lets me watch anymore either! the stinker.) The fleece I have underneath the wheel is very thick and squishy though and if he stepped off I don't think he could get hurt.

I think if you have the time and money, order a CSW. If you need to buy something right then, this is okay.

Besides, I LOVE how easy it is to clean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Flying Saucer Wheel, and I have to constantly grease the bearings on it. If I don't, it's incredibly loud. The first night it woke me up at 2 am and sounded like screeching. It's hard to clean because everything gets caught in the ridges, and instead of everything spilling out cleanly in one area, everything is flung from the wheel every which way in every direction.

I feel like Bruno can't really get going on it, it looks like he's struggling to move on it the entire time. He can't really get going, or get into a grove of running, because he's trying to run to the top of it and it's a bit awkward for him. He doesn't wheel very long (I can tell because it still squeaks a bit even after being greased), only in short bursts. It's an okay wheel, and it's much better than a lot of other wheels, but I am going to get him a CSBW as soon as I can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a flying saucer wheel for Liyla and she really enjoys it. When she first got it she was a little scared of it but now anytime she's not asleep or eating she's on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hazel uses a flyer saucer. She seems to really enjoy it! Ours is completely silent! The flinging poo hasn't been an issue for us. It does get all over the wheel but not all over her cage. But clean up is a breeze! She very small still, so we will probably invest in a bucket wheel when she gets a bit bigger due to all the joint worries...but for now this one has been great for us

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought this wheel sinfe the call from the breeder came faster than I thought and had just a few days to finish getting Jawn's home completed (thankfully I had most everything already.) I was wanting to try a CSBW but I knew money was a pinch as was time. I was afraid he wouldn't like it and kept the box and receipt just in case. I bought this over the other wheels because the other silent wheel wasnt available in the large size. The other wheels noise level would be a concern since he is staying in my room. I will say I am impressed at how quiet it is. Its also super easy and quick to clean. The material doesn't seem to absorb smells or stain either. He took to it from the first night he came home. I'll provably try the Carolina Storm too but this one isn't bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We had a flying saucer wheel and Lucy really liked it but it was the newer model that didn't come apart. It worked great but the two of the lock tabs on the shaft broke. This made the shaft not fit as tight and the wheel drooped hitting the base making it useless. When it worked was great though. Wish I would have had the older model that came apart with the steel shaft.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We had a flying saucer wheel and Lucy really liked it but it was the newer model that didn't come apart. It worked great but the two of the lock tabs on the shaft broke. This made the shaft not fit as tight and the wheel drooped hitting the base making it useless. When it worked was great though. Wish I would have had the older model that came apart with the steel shaft.
My flying saucer wheel broke recently too. :( same way. I replaced it with the csbw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought the flying saucer wheel because it was easier to purchase than the bucket wheel. She got heavy and started tipping the flying saucer so I purchased a bucket wheel. She refused to run on it, and I tried for quite some time because I didn't know what else to do. One day I had an idea and filled the under side of it with the bigger aquarium rocks and siliconed it in place. It is incredibly heavy she can't move it at all so she will never get to the silicone. I am worried about her joints but I know if she doesn't run she will be depressed and over weight. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have used the flying saucer at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My hedgehog has broken her flying saucer within 2 days of purchase, broke and ordered a CSBW but am located in Canada and will not arrive for a week or so. What should I do to give her exercise and keep her happy?? Obviously don't want to purchase another saucer or other type of wheel just for a week!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts