Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading Leroy to a hedgie mansion lol I am changing to a flying saucer wheel but wanted to know if, because of the shape, does it fling poo everyhwhere? If so I need to add a splash guard, just wanted to know before I put the final touches on.
Thanks............

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have one in my cage, and Vex runs like a maniac on it and for the week i have had it he has pooed all over it and when i get up in the morning, all the stool is still on the wheel and not on the ground. I don't think there has ever been poo in the bottom of his cage, all in the wheel or litter box.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It usually stays right on the wheel. I haven't noticed any on the walls of the cage (or on my walls). And it's so easy to clean!
I usually put a paper towel down so that it extends out in front of the wheel for an inch or two. That will catch any urine that runs off, as well as get some poopy of the feet when the hedgie hops off to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone recommend a size? From what I can tell there are only 3 sizes: 5 inch, 6 1/2 inch, and 12 inch. Isn't the 12 inch too big and the 6 1/2 inch too small? What size do those of you that have one use?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I don't use one, but I think most people who have Flying Saucers use the 12 inch one. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Definately the 12"

I got lucky and my hedgie seems to have plateaued at ~360g so it fits him quite nicely. Nancy has tried it with her bigger ~600g(? if memory serves) and it still works.

I just find that they are so much easier to clean.

Edit to add that....The FS wheels also take up more floor space, so make sure you take that into consideration when getting a wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts