Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Flutterby is one year old. Yesterday morning when I looked into her cage I saw blood smeared on the ground. I started freaking out and I thouht it might just be her toenail because I had cut it too short a bit ago. Unfortunately, when I looked her over, I saw that it was actually her eye. My dad is a vet so as soon as he got home I showed him but by then she had been scratching at it and it was a lot worse. He said it was proptosed and she was already blind in that eye, so he could sew the eyelids shut for a few weeks to see if it would stay in the socket or remove it completely. Since it was pretty severe I felt it would be a bit selfish to try to keep it if she had already lost sight and it would most likely come back out. I really don't care how she looks, I just want her to be healthy and I thought it would save her a lot of pain, so I decided (and my dad advised) that it would be better to remove it. The next day I went with my dad to his work and he let me watch the surgery. She was doing really well, so I brought her home, but she started acting a bit strange. She has been squeaking like a mouse ever since she woke up, and she has been biting her liners, which she has never done before. I also caught her a couple of times just standing in her cage staring off into space. She has been drinking tons of water but she hasn't pooped since before her surgery. I thought it might be because she is trained to go on her wheel which I took out of the cage. I actually have her in a really big laundry basket with everything except the wheel in it sitting in her cage. This is because I caught her chewing on the tape that holds the cage together like she was trying to escape, and I think she might have swallowed a bit of it. She just seems really distant and not herself and I don't know if she's just upset her eye is gone or if it's something much worse. It's the right eye, by the way. If anyone has dealt with this or something similar and could give me some insight that would amazing! Sorry this post is so long I just wanted all the details to be there. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I caught her scratching at her stitches and saw somewhere on here that putting gauze tape on the foot will help. Is this safe and how often should I change the tape? Thank You!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts