Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just recently my hedgehog poppy started fleece diving nightly. We use a heating pad (i will link the one we use below) to heat her cage. Im comfortable with it and trust it to keep her warm and have never had a problem with it, but now that shes fleece diving she gets under the fleece goes to the part of the cage that isnt heated by the pad (by her wheel, food bowl etc) im worried she will get cold doing this and i want to know if theres something i can do to stop her from burrowing under the fleece liners. I considered getting a heat lamp but im worried about it being a fire hazard. Please let me know if you have any ideas! Heres the link for her heating pad:

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products...ting+pad&qid=1630029890&sprefix=kh+hea&sr=8-9

·
Registered
Cassie is ten months old, weighs 496 grams and her favorite food is cat food!
55 Posts
Since heating pads aren’t the best for hedgehogs, I would switch to a ceramic heat emitter. That will keep her whole cage warm!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
Heating lamps used correctly shouldnt be any more a fire hazard than the heat mat.

With a heat lamp you should ALWAYS use it on a thermostat, this ensure that it doesn't over heat, ect. Plus it helps you with actually regulating your hogs temp.

You also want a guard for the lamp this is mostly to protect you, those bulbs can get very hot and burn you, the gaurd just ensure you nor your hog can get injured.

You want a bulb that is only heat, dont get one that also produces light, the light can interfere in their light schedule which can cause problems.

The lamp should be central, though some put a little off so its a bit closer to the sleeping side.

Heat lamps are much better, they heat the whole enclosure air, which is what hogs need, where the heat pad only really heats the floor that it covers, so less effective heat for them and what they need, even if they are safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heating lamps used correctly shouldnt be any more a fire hazard than the heat mat.

With a heat lamp you should ALWAYS use it on a thermostat, this ensure that it doesn't over heat, ect. Plus it helps you with actually regulating your hogs temp.

You also want a guard for the lamp this is mostly to protect you, those bulbs can get very hot and burn you, the gaurd just ensure you nor your hog can get injured.

You want a bulb that is only heat, dont get one that also produces light, the light can interfere in their light schedule which can cause problems.

The lamp should be central, though some put a little off so its a bit closer to the sleeping side.

Heat lamps are much better, they heat the whole enclosure air, which is what hogs need, where the heat pad only really heats the floor that it covers, so less effective heat for them and what they need, even if they are safe.
Thanks so much for the information! I will definitely look into all of those things for her. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts