Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am wondering what your thoughts are on giving a hedgehog flax oil on their kibble if they do not have dry skin?

I have been giving Wilbur flax oil (from a capsule) on his food because of his very flaky dry skin. My other hedgehog, Charlotte, does not have any problems with her skin but I would like to give her the flax oil as well because she is a major runner and is very small. I am thinking that the extra fat will do her good and the omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc can't hurt either.

Any reason not to give this to her?

Also, what is the recommended dose? I am currently giving Wilbur 1 capsule every second day. They are 1000mg. Should I be giving this every day?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I give 1 capsule ever 3-4 days.

The only real problem I'd see with giving 1 capsule/day is that you get an overweight hedgie. My horse gets put on 1 cup flax/day to gain/maintain weight. So it's pretty rich in fat. Since your girl is a runner, I don't see a problem with feeding it to her anyways, though again, not quite sure how much weight she'd gain if you were to feed it daily. Maybe put her on the same schedule as your boy and see how she is from there?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Too much flax can result in messy poops. I usually divide a capsule between 2 or 3 hedgehogs every few days.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks guys.

What I think I will do is split a capsule between Charlotte and Wilbur every 3 days or so and see how that goes.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts