Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, i had DeCAF on my bed, and i noticed he has flaky skin, it was on hands when i put him back in the cage. i have him on fleece liners, and i took him for his wellness check like 3weeks ago. everything was fine. no flaky skin then. he is eating and drinking fine. he itches himself a little but more like grooming himself. i bathe him once a month with aveeno baby shampoo. and once a week i put ferretone (same as linatone) for skin & coat. its a supplement that provides essential vitamins and fatty acids necessary for healthy skin.

not too sure what is the cause of this??? i really hope its not mites... i'm pretty OCD with cleanness since i have my sugar-gliders and my hedgehog ALL in my bedroom. people walk in and say if they didnt see cages they would not know that i have my babies in my room.

HELP?!?!?!?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've never heard of anyone using ferretone on their hedgies. I'm not sure what it does, but I don't think it's really all that essential to a hedgehog...
The flaking sounds like a simple case of dry skin; if there's no excessive itching, odds are it's not mites. Mites usually come from wooden bedding, so the chances of it definitely lessen since you have liners. It really just sounds like dry skin. It can happen around season changes. Most people use Flax seed oil or vitamin E, adding a few drops to the water/skin at bathtime. You can also take those flax seed oil capsules for humans and put a few drops on the food once or twice a week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts