Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Gris went to the vet for the first time. I was not very happy with my experience overall.

• She didn't seem to be open to handling him without a giant towel.
    She was impatient with him being unwilling to open.
    She seemed a little too scared of his popping.
    She yanked on his quills with tweezers, trying to possibly pull them out?!
    She tried to get him to open by shoving tweezers under his chin while in a ball.
    She gave up on getting him open for a skin scraping so we didn't even get one.
    She told me about how she was going to give me Revolution and then I never saw her again.
    Gris unballed while we waited there but she never came back to see him again.
    Her assistant came and gave me the revolution and an oral antibiotic and sent me on my way

My husband was weary of the antibiotic because he didn't understand why they want him to have it. So I just wanted to ask if anyone here was sent home with Revolution, if they also received an oral antibiotic.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What is the name of the antibiotic? There is no reason to give antibiotic with Revolution.

She doesn't sound very hedgehog knowledgeable and certainly not comfortable with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tribrissen? Thats what I thought too. I have no idea why they gave it to us and didn't tell me either. They just talked about Revolution and then told me how much I had to give him of the antibiotic.

He's still jumpy and not fully bonded with us so trying to give him anything orally is going to be incredibly difficult. Should I just not use it? Just give him the Revolution and leave out the Antibiotic?

Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I looked up Tribrissen online and found this:

Tribrissen is a medication used for the treatment of: urogenital tract infections, respiratory tract infections, alimentary tract infections and skin infections. It can also be used for general infections as well as infections of the ears, eyes and wounds.

If you haven't seen any signs or symptoms of illness in your hedgehog I wouldn't use it. I would just use the Revolution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nikki!

Thats interesting. I wish they would've told me why they prescribed it! If they thought he was having an infection of some kind.

The reason I took him was because of his heavy dry skin. He was loosing larger than normal bits of dead skin and I was worried it could be mites because he wasn't really reacting well to the dry skin remedies (oil, oil on food, less bathing, etc). I also purchased Humilac spray that arrived the same day I took him to the vet so I started off with that to see if it would take care of it and it seemed to help but not completely.

He is also Quilling (Just so you know all the info) which he started the day before I got him (Dec 23rd, 2013).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.