Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got Pickles yesterday and I can't wait to begin to start getting to know him! I have a couple of general questions first, being a new owner and all!

(1) My hedgie is a real climber and when I put the igloo in his cage he tries (and has succeeded) to climb on it, and from there, up the sides of his cage. Is it fine to not have an igloo in his cage-he has a sleep sack which he just sleeps under anyway.

(2) Can I leave toys (like a ball or cat toy) in his cage, or does he have to be supervised when he plays with them?

(3) If I put fleece strips in his cage for him to bury under, do they have to be a certain size? Do they ever chew on them, or can they hurt themselves in any way?

(4) Is it okay to use Yesterday's News Litter? Do they ever try to eat it? I tried a paper towel, but it keeps moving around.

Sorry for so many questions! Hopefully I can take some pictures in a couple of days when he has adjusted to his new home!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Congrats!

1. Yep, it is fine to leave the igloo out as long as Pickles is comfortable without it. Some might feel less secure, but my guess it that just a sleeping sack or hedgie hat will be fine.

2. You can leave the toys in his cage if they are safe and he can't hurt himself on them. Make sure there are no strings that could become loose, any gaps that he could catch his teeth/jaw/foot/etc in, also make sure that he can't bite any pieces off and ingest them. (For these reasons, I wouldn't let my hedgie play with them, even supervised.)

3. The fleece strips should be big enough so they can't be eaten. As long as they are bigger than a few inches square they will be fine.

4. Yesterday's News used to be a popular litter, until people started finding things like staples, bits of plastic and other sharp objects in it. These can be extremely harmful and you'd have to go through the litter each time to make sure there was nothing dangerous in it. Then there is always the chance that Pickles could try to eat the actual litter, but that just depends on the hedgie. If he starts eating it, take it out. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Lizard Girl is right (as usual) :)
As for the Igloo. It's fine to leave it out.
One of my girls won't sleep in one so she just has a bag she sleep's in. all my other's want a house of some sort.
So whatever your Hedgie like's to sleep in is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
He will probably settle down in a few days. Right now everything is new to him and he is testing everything. Once he has done something a few times, the thrill will wear off.

To prevent him from climbing the cage, you can weave stiff plastic in and out of the bars so he can't get a grip. Plastic report covers or those thin plastic place mats that the dollar stores carry both will work great. Usually after a few months once they realize they can't climb the cage, you can remove the plastic and they won't try again.

Once he figures out his wheel the thrill of climbing will wear off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts