Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yikes! Sorry the vet was so bad. I certainly would never go there again, just from the bird seed thing.

Hope you can find a decent one nearby!

...we need to start a list of vets NOT to go to. I think it would be very helpful.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I think anything would be better than the sorely out of date list we have now. Making one that is easier to edit (i.e. not through someone who takes a while to get around to it) would at least help a little.

I like the idea of having lots of vets and then just adding comments for each. That way it specifically doesn't say "bad vets".

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
320 at 10 weeks isn't bad at all! That is quite normal.

Haha, vets love to do that... my vet is awesome with the health side of things for hedgies but is not as familiar with care and what is normal and not (or moreso, used to the fact that there is such a wide range of "normal") for weights. When I told her that I was trying to get Inky to gain weight a year ago (he was 270 grams at 2 years old) she got concerned and said that it was a bad idea because obesity was a real problem in hedgehogs. I laughed to myself, because I know Inky will never be overweight. It's a struggle to only maintain his weight, let alone gain. You just have to know what's healthy for your hedgie and hope that the vet realizes you have a great experienced community backing you for these aspects of care. Since most vets aren't familiar with the up-to-date care that educated communities are providing, it's best to help educate them from your point of view and let them help with the treatment of problems only. That's just my opinion.

If someone out there has a vet that is very familiar with proper hedgehog care, you are lucky! They are one in a very small number. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.