Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my 3rd day with Quilla and I couldn't be happier, she is the biggest sweetheart. She hasn't shown a single sign of aggression, I haven't even heard her hiss yet. Maybe a little half huff once or twice but already on the second night I was able to just have her sleep on me while I petted her quills. She gets scared which seems pretty normal, she is 6 weeks old and only 2 days in a new environment but I'm so glad she has't showed any signs of aggressiveness. She isn't much of an explorer and so far seems pretty lazy, haven't noticed any wheel use yet.

Is she too young to hiss and jump? and What age do they start using their wheel regularly?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby. She sounds great. You're blessed with a baby who feels very comfortable in your hands. You could try placing her on the wheel and gently moving it. She'll figure it out. Maybe put a little flour in it to see if she is using it when you are sleeping.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby.

Each hedgie is different. She may start wheeling now, or she could be a slow starter. She may not be an avid runner. For example, I would say Pippin is a Moderate Wheeler. She wheels maybe 2-3 times a week and she's almost 5 months old. Other nights she earns her title of Queen of the Ohio Demolition Derby, and ransacks her cage. Some nights she doesn't wheel or go liner diving, and relaxes... although that happens about once a week.

At six weeks she's still growing, so she'll probably spend more time sleeping than any real interest in wheeling. If she does wheel it won't be for very long. I wouldn't stress too much just yet. Like MomII said, drop some flour in the bottom of the wheel... if she's getting in it by herself, she'll leave irrefutable evidence behind. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
They can huff and chuff and pop at any age, so she sounds pretty comfortable with things.

Sophie came home on her 6 week birthday and put three hours on her big CSW the first night. She's a runner. She put on three hours a night, every night, for months. Her running has dropped a lot recently, down to about an hour a night the last couple of months, with a few nights of no running at all. Seems fine though. Just a natural behavior change I figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts