Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, Firstly, already browsed/read through quite a few of the Faq's so i'm hoping my questions aren't in there or i'd feel silly.
Although most of these are kind of silly questions.

But first to say before i post the questions, 1. I have heat lamp, 2. 12' comfort wheel. 3. She has a Hide Spot. 4. I have wet kitten food + hedgehog food (Thats high 30% protein 10% fat) its same food pet store fed her. 5. I have kingworm treats for her.(Who get decapitated before she goes nomnom) 6. I have an exotic vet clinic lined up if she ever needs vet help.
^hopefully that says that while i'm not very knowledgeable about my hedgie, i've been doing what i can to make sure i am giving her a decent home, I am just looking to see what i can do to imrpove on it.

The big question, that i know i'm going to get nasty responses on,
Just how bad are Lizard cages for hedgies? i mean, i got a 30Lx12Wx18H lizzard cage for my little girl, and the main things i've been seeing that are against these sorts of cages are Ventilation.
Which leaves me wondering, what can i do to make this cage work for her? I don't mean in the sense of making it equal to the beauitufl cages most of you seem to use that i saw in the "Post your cages!" threads heh. But just thinking if every reptile/lizard does just fine in a lizard cage. Whats the main difference with a hedgehog? Since if its just a smell thing with the poop, leaves me wondering if i can just use a clear smelling air freshner near the cage to help rid her of that nastyness. My main concern being, is if the ventalation is so bad she'll suffocate from lax of oxygen.
On the Lizard tank note, i saw the things saying 12-14 hours of Artifical/Real light. I live in a spot where we get pretty cold nights, which is my major reason for getting a heat lamp, its Infared since thats ment "To not disturb nocutrnal creatures!" I'm just curious if that indeed will not screw up her sleep schedule, since i'm a night owl and my biggest reason for getting one of these angels was to have a little play buddy at night.

And then the silly questions.
1) I've had my little pika...a whole one day now! Everything i read said to just leave her alone for the first little while to help her get use to cage..But.. SHES SO EXPLORATIVE. When i was setting up her cage, i put her ittle hide on top of a old shirt of mine and put the box open facing towards my shirt/ the hide. 10 minuites later shes walking around my couch sniffing at her hide, and just not seeming concerned at all about the 3 people in the same room with her.

So i'm just curious if i should be encouraging her to explore some more? or just leaving her alone in her cage and letting her adapt? She seems to love crawling around on the floor and stuff, but shes still nervous of me, and balls up moment i reach for her(as expected of course)

2) ...are hedgehogs jumpers. I saw her looking over the edge of the couch sniffing down, and everything i read was just racing through my mind if they were known for making big jummps or not. Since as #1 says, i don't want to impede her exploring by making her ball up all the time, but at same time, don't want the poor thing making a 1 foot jump and hurting herself.>.<

3) (This one i'm sure is in a FAQ somewhere... I can't seem to find where it was though)
My hide is a big wooden one that pretty much takes up a 1/3 of her lizard tank. Being the nervous wreck i was with just having her home yesterday, i didn't see her eating/drinking, but she kept going "NOMNOM" on the wooden hide, i mean its only a tiny bit of wood missing out of it. But still scared me, ended up just taking the wooden hide out and cutting up a cardboard box into a U and flipping over so she still had somewhere to hide, but wouldn't nomnom on(no writing on said cardboard box or lose pieces of cardboard). She was eating/drinking/Wheel running just fine once i left her aone for the evening, which was kinda expected, but the question becomes, is the wooden hide safe for her to nomnom on, or should i be keeping that thing far away from her.
Link to said hide is http://www.homefashions.com/product/cag ... ouses.html i got her the Guineapig size/large size.

That is all, Thanks for the help that you've already gave me via Faqs and numerous other question threads. And just because i think everyone does it..PICTURE OF PIKA!.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hi welcome to HHC!! and by the way PIKA is gorgeous.

Now for the questions..to start off with I would start to wean her off of the hedgehog food and onto high quality, low fat dry cat food. You can still use the wet food as a treat. The probably with lizard cages, or tanks, is that when they poop and pee, the smell is trapped in there with them, so they keep breathing it in and it also causes more humidity both of which can be bad for their little lungs. Since hedgies are prone to Upper Respiratory infections, this can make them sick. Air fresheners aren't good for their lungs either. Also, if the house is taking up 1/3 of the space, then you may need something bigger for her. There should be about 2 square feet of open space in the cage after everything is put in. Your tank is only 2.5 square feet empty. You can use rubbermade tubs put together as a cage, the benefit of them over a tank is that you can drill ventilation holes in them. Heat lamps are not the best, a Ceramic Heat Emitter that doesn't give off any light is better for them. Some hedgies come out less, or not at all, with an infared light on. You're right about needig 12-14 hours of light a day.

1. If she seems to have settled in, and doesn't seemed stressed there is no reason to not have her out for cuddle/play time. Let her explore all she wants, that's great that she's so comfortable already.

2. No hedgies are not jumpers BUT they have poor depth vision and will walk off the edge of things and fall and get hurt, try to block off the edge of the couch or stay close to keep her from falling. A fall of even a couple of inches can cause alot of harm.

3. Most hedgies are not chewers, so I'm surprised she took a chunk out of the house. She may have just been tasting it. That being said, wood isn't the best idea in their cages as its hard to clean if they poop and pee on it, and it can harbour mites. A plastic igloo would be a better idea.

Sounds like you're going to be a good hedgie mom!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Its been years since I owned a Lizard but mine needed a humid environment and the heat from the Lizard cage. The Lizard I had also only went to the bathroom one or twice a week and when they did it was compacted into a pellet and no ordor. With a a hedgehog they poop and pee a lot in a night and the smell would be trapped. Ventillation would be the number one reason I wouldn't use the aquarium. If you are looking for some inexpensive caging options you could do a plastic bin set up because you can modify it by drilling holes and it will help the ventillation some.

Pika is absolutly adorable, congratulations on your new hedgie :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NIKKI. It is fitting you would be the one to respond in helping me educate myself. xD!
When i decided on a hedgehog and was looking around for breeders in alberta and saw your name come up heh. (i live near calgary, i just found it cute that you were the one to respond, seemed to long of a drive that far north and ended up just going with an independant pet store in calgary heh. Just recognized under your name it said from Manning, and just rang a bell, went back to the breeder page..lo and behold hehe!)

Please don't take the following as argumentative at your answers, more as a student asking a teacher why something works the way it does, and why option A) is better then option B).

Food wise, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17055 is the stuff they were feeding her/ suggested i use. On the more information tab it has the ingredients / Fat% protein%. Like it has 2 corn things higher up on the list, but still sounds really meaty. if thats still not as appropriate as the cat food is, i'll make sure to track some down after she gets settled in.

As for the heat lamp and "not coming out of their homes while its on", guessing this gets shoved in "Every hedgies different" or she hates her little hide that much. But..she..sleeps behind the wheel which is like -right- where the heat lamp faces. I'm pretty sure it was said to keep the light away from the food/water/sleeping spot for hedgies, so like i have it looking down at the sie of the tank so half the light is looking outside the tank >.< (I'm sure you know how the cold nights go here..i was just trying to make sure it helped warm up the tank, but wasn't gonna make it to hot?)

I'm kinda lost what to do with her hide though, i cut up an old tshirt and put that down under her hide, since she was shoving all the aspen shavings away from her sleep spot and was sleeping on glass, she was sleeping on it for a bit earlier, then after out little evening explore time she just went back in her corner by the lamp.

Out of curiosity, would a Tank on its side work? I am contemplating using a tub for her wheel with a tube connecting to it from the tank, since this thing on its side..would be alot of room for her. (Mostly just want to find some way to make use of the tank without harming the little one.) Since id be thinking the depth of it would still make it an issue..if i tossed a pillow or something on the bottom. Hmm. Hehe Many things to get worked out still for her =D

Thanks again for the help, Me n the little one appreciate it =D ..well she doesn't yet. But she will!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
That's kinda cute that you were thinking of me before getting your baby! Oh and don't worry you don't sound arguementative at all, just curious.

I looked at the specific food you're feeding and 8 in 1 is one of the "better" hedgie foods, which doesn't mean its good. What worries me about it is the first ingredient is "Poultry By-Product Meal", now if it was just Poultry Meal, that would be good, but the by-product part means they could include, beaks, feathers, feet etc., basically any pary of the bird, so it may not have much, if any, actual meat in it. The second is chicken fat, once again not meat. Then there are two types of corn. Not digestable by hedgies. I think that it would be ok as a "junk" type food if a mix, but that something with real meat should be in there too.

Now for the infared light i said
Some hedgies come out less, or not at all, with an infared light on.
Your hedgie may be one of the ones that it doesn't bother, which would be great.

Now about using the tank on its side, its something I've never thought of, and it might work. I really don't know for sure...lol. One thing to watch for is you should have a thermometer in there to make sure that it doesn't get to hot, the glass "may" hold the heat in more. Oh and for sleeping...if she's happier sleeping out in the open that's fine. I don't use commercial hides for most of my guys, I use fleece "hats" for them to sleep under, they don't take up much space, are warm and the hedgies seem to like them.

Off Topic....I just sold a baby to a lady in Calgary yesterday, she and her daughter drove up and picked her up. If you're ever interested in one of my babies in the future...just drop me a note...lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me again! Just a curious question.
I've been leaving my little one alone for most part so she can get use to her home since she was having issues with eating and drinking, which is all better now that i'ev been only handling her twice a day and making sure that people aren't in same room with her all nearly all day.

She seems to be getting...Extrememly scared lately though? when i take her out in the evenin/afternoon for cleaning up, shes normally pops out of ball and says hi, i put her on a little blanket that she just burrows into while i tidy up her cage a bit.

Past 2 days when i've gone to put her back into her cage from the blanket..she just starts..."Shaking" and very heavy breathing while going into a ball.
I've had her a week now, and shes never done anything like this, and shes -only- doing it when i'm picking her up after putting her down..It just makes me feel terrible to pick her up when shes doing this.

Going through the health threads, nothing stands out as bad, her poops are finally big n brown these past 2 days, instead of a very dark green log. Her home temperture is normally 33-35c, and shes using her wheel and eating/drinking. So aye..Anyone advice on whats going on would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mine still does the "shaking" you are talking about. You described it good when you said it was like heavy breathing. I've had mine for close to 6 months now and he still does this. Its just because they are unsure of things and scared. Mine usually snaps out of it quick as soon as he is put down or on my lap. For my hedgie it is the first stage of Im not liking this lol Usually goes "heavy breathing-->visor goes down-->go into a ball/hiss-->clicking and popping. It doesn't sound like anything to be worried about though and normal behavior :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA thats exactly the stages she takes! Use to be just Visor - ball.
Thank you, she had me feeling pretty bad, good to hear its normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts