Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I started researching hedgies a while ago because they're just plain awesome xD I don't know when I'll be getting my hedgie, but I can definitely say it won't happen for a good 4 months. We are moving in december and don't want to bring a hedgie into the family beforehand. It would just be a ton of stress on the animal and add to the millionthings we already have to worry about. However, if I get all my research done now, it will be easy to take care of this hedgie when I do get it. I was wondering if ferret nation cages were good cages for hedgies. Of course, I would build railings on the ramps and lofts to make sure the poor hedgie doesn't fall off and hurt itself. Also, how do you heat them? Should you fix something to the top of the cage? I mean, I'd get a 2-level one for 2 hedgies, and I'm not sure if something should be on the bottom or the top... And last question for now, I swear xD Can you take the ramps off and put tubes instead? If you found a way to fix them to the cage, of course. Although railing building isn't a big problem, tubes would be easier.
Thanks in advance <3
-Sonja

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I'm sure Lisa will be along to show pictures of her Ferret Nation conversion.

With a ferret nation you pretty much need to use a space heater and heat the whole room. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there! I'm Lisa :) I have a Ferret Nation (the 142 model) and house my 2 hedgehogs in it. Basically each boy has a main floor, and than a ramp up to the loft. Going any taller (ie 1 hedgehog having the whole cage, I feel is too much vertical height and complicates the safe ramp method). I'll show you my series of pictures how I converted the cage and the finished product (I took a ton of pics, so beware!

Before I start, I'll mention that the only way to heat this cage safely and effectively is to have a space heater for the whole room. If you're only using the top level of the cage as hedgehog housing, and storage below, then you might be able to use a ceramic heat emitter, but I personally feel that it is just too open & well ventilated for this. We use an oil filled space heater that heats the room with a nice even heat with no hot or cold spots. Perfect for this cage, and playtime as well!

Now onto the photos!

This is the cage as a whole with the doors closed for the overall effect:

This is the bottom level of the cage, before I put on the ramp guard. We used the C&C grids as barriers and they've worked really well so far. It was super easy to cut a hole out of it to allow for the hole at the top of the ramp. **You can see that if you use the top level for another hedgehog, you must leave in the metal grid that comes with the cage and cover it with a very tight fitting piece of coroplast. The plastic pans that come with the cage do not fit snuggly enough to prevent a leg falling through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I secured the C&C grids to the cage using plastic electrical zip ties and pulled them really tight. The wall is extremely secure now and barely flinches. 1 C&C grid is not large enough to spread across the depth of the cage so I had to secure 2 together. This also shows the hole for the ramp better. I wove plastic drawer liners through the ramp that came with FN so that it was solid, but also had some grip.

This is the loft. A layer of coroplast is a MUST for the floor because the loft that comes with the cage does not sit directly beside the sides of the cage. Little toes and feet can fall down the gap. I cut the coroplast to size and ta da!

This is Gus' final cage! I added a bent C&C grid to make a ramp guard so that they can't walk off the edge. I use fleece liners and absolutely no bedding. Paper towel in the litter tray. I added plastic guarding (they're flexi placemats from the dollar store) around the sides of the cage to 1) prevent some drafts from coming in 2) for privacy from the cats (especially for the guy on the lower level) and 3) to prevent little baby heads from poking through the cage bars. This is also why I've weaved the same plastic through the ramp guard.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hey, I also use a FN142, but I've only got one hedgie. He just has the top section (I use the bottom tray on the top so he can't access the bottom, if you know what I mean) and I keep all his supplies in the lower part.

Here's a couple quick pics, it's pretty similar to Lisa's:

And here's a bit more on how I arranged everything. They are a bit more difficult to be creative with than say, a C&C cage, but it works for me. :)

http://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/ind ... topic=4902

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for all the pictures and explainations <3 I might use the tube like you, lizardgirl, just because I'm too lazy to build the railings and cover the floor. Exactly how did you put the tube in there? x3 But what you did Lisa, with the guard wall at the bottom of the cage is a really good idea - I will have to do that too, I have 3 cats. I don't have a lot of options because I live in Germany and I'm pretty sure they don't have C&C here. I /could/ ask my mom's friends from work, but they've been so nice helping us move here, I can't ask them for that =w= Anyways, thanks so much for all the help =D My hedgie book should be arriving tomorrow, so if the ferret nation cage is too big or something (I still have to measure, but since we can't just randomly to go the peoples' house and say 'HEY WE'RE MEASURING HERE TODAY C:,' I have to wait a bit), there will probably be more suggestions in there. I just don't like the idea of my hedgie living in plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.