Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
Yesterday night I noticed a stain on the cloth pad at the bottom of my hedgehog's cage. Scared, but knowing there wasn't much I could do at 1am I removed her bedding pad and checked her. She had blood on her hind legs so I gave her a bath and put her back in her cage, where she ate and drank water. This morning I caught her peeing in the corner and without the pad it left the puddle shown in the picture(the blood looks almost black in the photo, it was actually much more red). She is still eating and drinking and I have an appointment with her vet tomorrow at 3:45pm. Lucille is between 5 and 6 years old and she's always been a curious, albeit grumpy hedgie. She doesn't appear to be acting much differently from usual but I did notice it was a little hard for her to walk after she peed, but this was only temporary. Should I be more worried or is waiting until tomorrow appropriate?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and this is the first real medical issue I've had with Lucy so I'm just anxious waiting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
28 Posts
Good afternoon,
Yesterday night I noticed a stain on the cloth pad at the bottom of my hedgehog's cage. Scared, but knowing there wasn't much I could do at 1am I removed her bedding pad and checked her. She had blood on her hind legs so I gave her a bath and put her back in her cage, where she ate and drank water. This morning I caught her peeing in the corner and without the pad it left the puddle shown in the picture(the blood looks almost black in the photo, it was actually much more red). She is still eating and drinking and I have an appointment with her vet tomorrow at 3:45pm. Lucille is between 5 and 6 years old and she's always been a curious, albeit grumpy hedgie. She doesn't appear to be acting much differently from usual but I did notice it was a little hard for her to walk after she peed, but this was only temporary. Should I be more worried or is waiting until tomorrow appropriate?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and this is the first real medical issue I've had with Lucy so I'm just anxious waiting.

I actually just had this problem, and i dont mean to alarm, but she ended up having tumors in her uterus. She is actually in surgery for it as I type this. It sounds like getting her to the vet as soon as possible is the best course of action.

· Registered
28 Posts
Good afternoon,

It could also be a bad UTI tho! Didnt mean to jump to any conclusion.

· Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
636 Posts
MY hedgehog had this too, she also had a problem in her uterus. If you already have an appointment, there is not much you can do but wait until then :) Good luck!!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, the vet seems to think it could be that as well. He gave me antibiotics and pain meds in case it is a UTI, but he believes this to be unlikely. Hopefully things will clear up with the meds, if not I'll make her as comfortable as possible. This little old lady has lived quite the life and I couldn't have asked for a better, sweeter hedgehog

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your replies, the vet seems to think it could be that as well. He gave me antibiotics and pain meds in case it is a UTI, but he believes this to be unlikely. Hopefully things will clear up with the meds, if not I'll make her as comfortable as possible. This little old lady has lived quite the life and I couldn't have asked for a better, sweeter hedgehog

Im wishing you and your hedgie family the best in these hard times<3 you are a great owner:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.