Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a 3 1/2 month old female from a breeder. She weighed 250g. I want to breed with her. Currently she has been with me for a month, but is still at 250g! The previous breeder fed her cat pellets for kittens(high protein) as well as peas and corn.
I am feeding her only high protein pellets ,and 3 mealies a day. I have added a wheel to her cage(she didn't have one with previous owner), but have removed it now for 3 days- still no change in her weight. She doesn't seem to be eating much, and it's hard to tell how much she is ingesting as she tends to spread her food all over the bedding(shavings).
She is highly active and energetic.
If she continues at this weight, and proves to be a slimmer hedgie, would it still be safe to breed her at this wight range? Normally I wouldn't breed under 400g.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm going to assume you're well-versed in responsible breeding practices regarding pedigrees, emergency situations, etc since you implied you regularly breed. If you aren't, please don't breed again until you can meet those requirements.

I'm not a breeder -- only someone who has secured a mentor of sorts for the possibility of breeding in the distant future or rescuing in the somewhat nearer future -- so I'm not sure if there is a safe weight range for breeding females. I've only ever heard age mentioned. I do know that Fitzgerald's mother, Minuet, is only about 300g. (At 2 months old, Fitzgerald already equaled her size.) Fitzgerald was part of her third litter, and she has never had an issue with birth or caring for and feeding her babies. More impressive, Fitzgerald was one a litter of seven, all of whom were able to be weaned on schedule with no supplemental care. Whether she is the exception or the rule, I can't say with certainty, but I can say that if her breeder felt there was any additional risk breeding her, I don't think she would do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts