Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the forum before I posted, to see if anyone else had a case like mine, but I couldn’t find anything that matched mine.
My hedgie is 4 years old, and started randomly bleeding when urinating. We (the vet and I) gave her UTI antibiotics which helped for a bit, but then it came back. 3 times we tried this. Did a urine and a fecal sample but no urine crystals or digestive tract issues. Nothing on xrays either. At this point he thinks its some sort of cystitis but I swear the blood has increased in the last few days. She’s on a painkiller now for it in the hopes it would clear on it’s own, so she’s settled down, but I honestly am at my wits end. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Could try an ultrasound? It could be an issues that means she needs spaying seen a few of those stories with bleeding females getting spayed and then being okay.

I'm not a vet or an expert or had any experience

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Could be a uterine issue. Honestly, they are little cancer machines. Both girls I've had wound up needing to be spayed after treating for UTI's didn't resolve the issue. You can try to have the ultrasound done, but they tend to be hard to read on a hedgehog. If your vet is willing and comfortable performing the surgery on such a small creature it wouldn't hurt to have it done. It will either fix the issue or it won't. Either way, it's eliminating a potential problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had this same problem, we ended up having to get my hedgehog spayed because she had a tumor in her uterus. Would suggest an ultrasound if you can afford one, if not the vet can feek=l around her belly and see if anything feels off.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi my 1st hedgie Nara had this issue about 10 ago. It ended up being a benign uterine polyp, which the vet found while doing her spay surgery.
She was about 3 or 3 and a half years old and they were concerned about her age, but she did fine. They used a glue instead of stitches and used a healing laser on her too.
This is a good reminder to have an emergency fund. The histology cost about the same as the surgery, but it was worth it to find she didn't have cancer, thankfully.
We really bonded after her surgery, since she had to have pain meds and antibiotics. It seemed that having her lie on my chest made her feel better. She turned into a cuddle bug afterwards.
She never did much running on her wheel afterwards. I took the wheel out for 8 to 10 weeks after, so she could heal.

I hope it works out for you and your girl.

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Did the vet do a urine draw directly from the bladder or was the urine sample collected from her peeing? A sample taken directly from the bladder could be a next step to at least eliminate the uterus as a source of the blood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts