Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all over and maybe I just overlooked in which case I am sorry to post this again, but I was just curious as to how much I feed my hedgie each day. I don't want to over/under feed him/her (haven't actually gotten my hedgie yet).

Thanks,
Tyler Ech

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Most people prefer to free feed their hedgies. You would count out a number of kibble for his bowl, then after you've had him for awhile, you'll figure out about how much he'll eat on his own each night. Then you put just a bit more than that amount in his bowl. For example, Lily tends to eat anywhere from 30-50 kibble in a night, so I count out 70 kibble for her bowl, to make sure she has some leftover for a midday snack, or if she's hungrier than usual some night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much would you say 70 kibble is size wise, like if I wanted to use a measuring scoop of some sort just to make life easier on myself. I appreciate the help. I was planning on free feeding like that I just didnt want to to put like 2 cups in there and my hedgie become an obese monster lol.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you don't want to bother counting the kibble, get a scale that reads in 1gram increments and weight the food. Using a scoop is not at all accurate as sometimes the food could be more tightly or loosely packed than other times. I often weigh the food of those I'm concerned with but if intake starts to go down, then I count as counting is the most accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts