Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has been a while since we had a thread like this. So here we go. I thought maybe some of our newer caretakers could use some ideas.

What is your hedgehogs favorite non-wheel toy?

For me. One has no non-wheel favorites. He has items in his cage, about the only one he uses is a fleece covered tube to hide in :rolleyes: . The other will move/rearrange anything you put in his cage. A water bowl was his favorite for a while. Ping pong balls, fleece forests, fleece pom poms, etc. I honestly have no idea how he has time to rearrange all his toys each night while still managing to run over 7 miles each evening. Busy boy, who seems to be happy to have his own stuff.

· Registered
165 Posts
That sounds so cute! :) But my Ragnar is like your first one. He's into tunnels and climbing under his blanket. And sand bathing. Otherwise, that's all he's interested in. I would like to try ping pong balls though.

· Registered
Holly was 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,276 Posts
Holly's non wheel favourite things were her bridge, which she also doubled as a tunnel loving going under it!
Crinkle balls and this other ball that rattles when pushed around. And her treat ball.
She also loves playing "lets rearrange this place"
She loved to play foraging to, hunting her insects around the enclosure, her beeding being loose to keep this easy.
She also really loves her sand baths!

· Administrator
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds so cute! :) But my Ragnar is like your first one. He's into tunnels and climbing under his blanket. And sand bathing. Otherwise, that's all he's interested in. I would like to try ping pong balls though.
Ping pong balls are hit or miss. He loves to push his around. I find it in his bed with him, under his wheel, and last night, it was floating in his water bowl. I woke up to a hedgehog making a lot of noise trying to get it out. :rolleyes:

· Registered
7 Posts
Our hedgehogs (4) love to hide in shoes. I made a flexible 6-in-high wall (Hazel could climb over the original 4-in wall) so I can give them free-range floor time but still contain them. When they are in the front entry area, Edith and Betty will burrow into shoes. Rosie likes to curl up in an oatmeal tube that has the bottom removed. I also have some cardboard packing forms that they like to crawl under or push around. If I get down on my hands and knees when I have a hoodie on, Betty and Rosie will come into the "cave" and look for the pockets.

· Registered
271 Posts
I was igors non wheel favorite lol. He would always use me as a jungle gym and obstacle course. He'd climb over me, tunnel under me, walk across me, bury into my hair, and then he'd explore my bed, tunnel under the blankets, climb over the cushion hills, walk along the sides while I hold him to make sure he doesn't fall off.

I attempted multiple things over the three years, but Igor wasn't really interested in playing. I gave him a catnip ball, he tried to bite it, couldn't it, and just left it.
I gave him toilet paper roll tubes, he was only interested in them if there were insects in them.

I made him a forager bucket when his wheel broke, and he loved doing that, but it was difficult to maintain.
I also once put egg carton cut outs with bugs hiding under neath them for Igor to find. He liked it, but struggled 😂

He was very food motivated, and didn't really like playing. I remember I really wanted to buy him a mini teddy, but he passed before I could. There was so many things I wanted to buy for him.

I wanted to buy him a play pen with tubes and sand baths and sensation rugs. Hidey holes and bridges. Foraging spots and cat toys. New water and food bowls, another wheel to put in the play pen. A bigger cage, maybe even make the play pen his cage lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.