Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are some images of my hedgehog, Indiana. The breeder described him as a standard pinto when he was a baby, but the little white spots on his butt disappeared as he got older. I was also told that he might develop a snowflake pattern as he grew up, but I was never able to figure out if he did. Snowflakes need to have at least 30% white quills, don't they? Indiana had a noticeable number of them, but not anywhere near 30%. Instead, his quills had very narrow brownish bands that faded into a rust color on either side. Since the thin bands were not always visible, he looked like a snowflake. I mostly just described him as a standard hedgehog, but an especially pretty one. He passed away earlier this month, but I'm still curious about what his "official" color was.

As it happens, I took a lot of pictures of his quills during his life, since I thought they looked so beautiful and silvery--almost like he was covered in frost.

(These are thumbnails--they should open up into [much] larger images if you click on them.)

The skin over his back and shoulders was pink with a light dusting of gray, there was no mottling on his belly, and his eyes and nose were completely black.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To me he looks to be a standard. But Im terrible with color. Unless those many white quills are ALL white (no bands or any color)I dont think he is considered a snowflake.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
He looks like a standard to me too. As for colour, I'm not good with colours.

Pinto spots often close up as they age. My Lucy's whole back end was white as a baby but now she only has two very small pinto spots on either side.

He was a beautiful boy. I know how much you must miss him. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks pretty standard, except to me it looks like the white that people usually find on the tips of the quills go down a bit farther.

I'm no expert by any means though ;)

I'm sure bryan will be able to tell you when he sees it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts