Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi may i know how then would my hedgehog not turn into a ball everytime i try to play with him???? :( feels so jealous when i see other pet owners holding their hedgehogs....please can someone help me?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am no expert, for I have just begun this journey, 2 months in. In my case, if I pick up Bas to play with by herself, she would be wiggling away for sure. She is content to have a blanket/sweater that she can explore while sitting on me, so I see a bulge move under the covers = playtime....I make sure I pet her during this time, so she is still in a comfort zone. Over time, while exploring, again, not playing with me, with the lights dimmed, she will now run over my feet if I am at the computer--but I leave it to her terms. I think it is a comfort zone, time, and patience. Kind of like prickly onions. It is amazing when some small gift of trust is bestowed on you. For example, you lift up a corner of a blanket, she sticks her head out and ventures out on her own. Golden baby steps. Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How long have you had him? Some hedgehogs take months to bond and come out of their shells. If you've recently gotten him (and I assume so), he's probably not used to you yet. It's basic hedgehog behavior. Try sitting by the cage and talking to him to get him used to your voice, and take a t-shirt that smells like you (check for strings first) and put it in the cage so he can get used to your scent. Also, don't use gloves to pick him up if you've been doing so.

I would recommend taking a look at this thread: http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13.

Do some reading up on the forums here, because most new owner questions have been answered and you can learn a lot from looking around.

Welcome to Hedgehog Central.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've got him about a month or so....i tried picking him up but he turns into a ball n pricked me and i kinda bleed....so how do i know when is the right time? cause im using a glove nw to pick him up.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
The right time for what? To pick him up? Or when he's used to you? You have to pick him up daily and spend at least 30 minutes a day with him, so NOW is the right time to pick him up. He'll get used to you in his own time, but you have to be patient and let him come out of his shell on his own. And how old is he? If he's a pet store hedgehog, he's probably a little bit older (6 months+) and older hedgies sometimes take longer to bond because they're not used to being handled and around people. It could take up to a year to get him totally used to you; it all depends on him.
Gloves aren't good to use because they mask your scent. Hedgehogs have bad eyesight so they recognize you by smell, not by sight. You're freaking him out every time you scoop him up with a glove because he has no idea what's going on, and probably thinks he's done for--you could be a giant bird about to eat him for all he knows. If you have to use something to pick him up, take a piece of fleece or a blanket and sleep with it, then use it to pick up your hedgie. Also, how are you trying to pick him up? If you're just grabbing him, that can cause you pain. Put your hands on both sides of him, along his sides, and slowly slide them under to scoop him up. This allows you to touch less quills and more belly.
You can also put him on your lap and put a blanket over him to let him explore and get used to you in the dark. Or you can get/make a hedgie bag out of fleece, and put him in there and let him sit on your lap. Either helps with bonding and should be done during your minimum half hour play/bond time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts