Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know hedgie diets are supposed to be low in fat. However, it seems that when Beck goes low-fat he gets grumpy/sluggish/mite-ridden/just not very perky.

When he frequently gets high fat treats, like peanut butter, salmon, small bits of cheese, higher fat meats, etc. he seems SO much healthier and more energetic. And it doesn't seem to make him fat-- he's pretty active.

So my question-- if he seems healthier with more fat than usual, do I go with that? Or does that still put him at risk for fatty liver disease and other diseases even if he isn't physically fat?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think that if he seems to be doing better with the fattier treats and is not getting over weight that its ok. But I do think he should share his secrets so the rest of us can eat what we want and not gain any weight :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple! Run like a madman! All the time!! No stopping! Something's chasing you! All the time!

:)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Which low fat food are you feeding him? Lite is okay, mature not necessarily so.

Years ago, we accidentally bought a mature food instead of the normal one for our cat. The bags were very similar in colour and we didn't notice. She got sluggish, slept all the time and was generally not looking well. We had an appointment with the vet when I happened to notice the food was the wrong one. We immediately switched her and within days she was back to her old self. I'm not saying that all mature diets will do this but they are geared to less active individuals.

·
Registered
764 Posts
emeko said:
When he frequently gets high fat treats, like peanut butter, salmon, small bits of cheese, higher fat meats, etc. he seems SO much healthier and more energetic. And it doesn't seem to make him fat-- he's pretty active.
I'm not sure about everyone else opinion, but I would be very concern that the peanut butter stick to the roof of his mouth (I remember last time I ate it it did) and choke. I wouldn't personnaly give that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He gets Wellness Indoor, Natural Balance Green pea and Duck, and Performatrin Salmon and Olive Oil (reduced fat).

As for the peanut butter sticking, I give him the natural organic stuff, and it's pretty soupy, so I don't think it would be too sticky. I only give him teeny bites of it at a time too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts