Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having health issue with my hedgehog can somebody can have a look how serious is she and need some advice.

From the photo it seems like she is having dry skin and also unhealthy quill.

By the way she also has powder like flakes on hers face. I think hers face is swollen too but from the photo cant tell.

I brought her to vet today but unfortunately vet is unavailable today so the staff was getting advice from vet through phone call and end up with these med, 1 antibiotic (i messed up giving her), 1 bottle of vetri science dmg (i just put into water to get her drink all night) and 1 betacin eyes drop (which i think i cant get use at all).

I am still stranger to her it so hard to handle her. Whiskers Domesticated hedgehog Fawn Phasianidae Feather Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Erinaceidae Fawn Whiskers Carnivore Fawn Felidae Companion dog Small to medium-sized cats Flowerpot Carnivore Wood Whiskers Felidae Hair Plant Natural material Wood Staple food Plant Natural material Wood Tree Close-up

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
From your description it sounds like she may have a mite infestation. Did you vet's office discuss the possibility of mites? If not, the vet's office could do a skin scraping to try to determine if she has mites. If they cannot do it right away, you can do a less effective test at home, which is to take a black cloth, rub her with it to get some of her flakey skin on it, and watch the cloth under a bright light. Do the flakes move on their own? If they do, she has mites. If you don't see movement, she may still have mites but a skin scraping needs to be done.

If you see movement, call your vet's office back and tell them what you found. They may laugh at my home testing method, but it may help provide a little extra information as to her condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the face with the current condition might have caused by mite infestation?

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
The crusty skin around her eyes and face could be caused by mites. It could also be a bad bacterial infection. Mites typically cause quill damage and/or loss, dry flakey skin, crust can form at the base of quills or around the face (eyes, ears, etc). Frantic or excessive scratching. Mite infestations can also cause a bacterial infection in the skin. So there may be a couple of issues going on. A skin scraping done at the vet should be done to help determine what is going on. I only mentioned the black cloth trick to help you gather additional information that may be helpful in the phone calls you were having.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did some rub on hers ear and saw some tiny is moving, refer to attached video. Could this be mites?

Also she act like smelling/eating/licking something on the bottom of the cage. If those are mites i guess they are annoying to her and she is trying to catch them.

I have book an appointment with my local vet tomorrow to check it out.

I have another hedgie cage next to her, could she be infected as well? Since I did not notice any strange or flaky skin on the face (not sure about under quills)

Video link Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Mites or some other parasite. But movement along with the crustiness around hr face and quills are all pointing towards mites.

Make sure you mention the second hedgehog to your vet when you have your appointment. If there are mites or something else on the one, chances are the other has them too and will also need treated at the same time in order to prevent re-infestation later.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have visited vet just now, did some scarping on the both ears and resulted a lot of mites, then they gave her an injection, it was written as parasite treatment in the receipt. Vet said the injection should have last for 2 weeks and visit next week to review. Also I have another hedgie (her daughter) cage next to it, Vet suggested to give another shot for her as most likely infested as well. I will bring her for injection tomorrow. Hope they get well soon.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
How are your girls doing now? Is this one's skin looking better now?

I'm assuming your veterinarian gave them ivermectin. If you ever have to treat for mites again, ask your veterinarian for selamectin, which is also called Revolution. It is a safer drug for treating hedgehogs for mites and it is a topical instead of a jab. You would be able to treat both hedgehogs multiple times from the same tube without having to go back to the vet for additional shots..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both of them visited last weekend for review. Vet said skins are getting better, will go for review this weekend again if things are going well then Vet said will not giving another jab.

During the last review I also mentioned the another issue that I mentioned in another thread (the mum has swollen mouth), vet couldn't check her mouth she is too nervous in a ball. So gave me 1 week 0.03 ml per day anti-inflammatory for her and see how it goes. Also gave me multivitamin for the daughter hedgie as I also mentioned she doesn't seems to have appetite to eat every night. By the way I also switched their food (mix with old) at the same day of vet visit from "Blackwood" to Acana (kitten), then both of them are gaining weight now, not sure the supplement/med or food is the cause for not eating/not gaining weight. I hope they are going well.

I have read wobbly hedgehog syndrome lately and discovered that the mum has similar symptom. Hope not. I will keep an eye to the mum and see how she develops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts