Hedgehog Central banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Once you get your liners in place, if you do have a burrower, fleece strips/scraps piled into a kleenex box or their Pigloo or whatever you use for a bed box works well for my little guys. They also carry them around, stuff them into the tubes, etc. Its cute. Don't do this with just any fabric, though, as other fabrics will have loose strings that get caught on their legs, nails, feet. Fleece only for the strips.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, so I'm thinking of going to Joann's tonight to get some fleece to line the cage with... is that enough? I just want to make sure all I need is the fleece, or maybe if there's something else I should put under it to soak up the urine and stuff...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is it okay to use felt instead of fleece? For whatever reason, I can't find a store near me that sells fleece, but Michaels has some fleece sheets for crafts..

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't think the felt would work very well. The fibers tend to catch on things and I know when Ive used it for crafting before it has caught on my fingernail and tore it, I think for a hedgie it would for sure catch. If you can't find any fleece at walmart you can always check over to see if they have fleece sheet sets on sale. Sometimes when the seasons change they will sell them for a deal, you can also look for the fleece throws that go on sale often but you will want to make sure to cut the string border. If all else fails you can always try multiple layers of quilting cotton, you'll have to sew these so there is no exposed seams or threads. Also it would work better if you use more layers cause it becomes more sturdy and it makes it harder for a toe nail to snag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, any opinions on if I should put something under the fleece? Should I layer it, or is one layer of fleece along the bottom of the cage enough?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I just do one liner on the bottom and I clean the cage/change liner weekly. Ideally, though, because of the urine smell I should replace the liner at least twice a week as fleece is not absorbent so tends to smell.

Also depends on your laundry situation, do you own your own washer/dryer? Have money for a bit of extra load of laundry? For awhile I was changing the liner daily but then I ended up with more hedgie laundry than human laundry so I cut back on changing liner so often. But if you are in small quarters, and don't mind a bit of laundry, you could get away with one liner and change it more often, even daily if you prefer.

**Side Note: if you put a litter pan or cookie sheet under the wheel it helps catch a lot of the pee and poop. Not all, but a lot of it which helps reduce the amount that gets on the fleece liner.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
what's the consensus on silk scraps?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Silk scraps would be dangerous unless you hemmed each one. The cut edges will fray and the loose threads can wrap around the hedgies legs. If you want to use scraps make sure they are fleece, so that there are no loose threads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, went to Joann fabrics earlier and picked up some fleece. Cut a couple to size and, for now, I'm using two sheets as the liner. And, I do have a litter box under the wheel since I just got my CSW in the mail today :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm pretty excited - I replaced my shavings with a fleece liner last night, and it's so much better. I didn't like the shavings for a number of reasons: a) they were drying out Watson's skin, and he's quilling; with as much as he likes to burrow, the shavings kept getting stuck between his quills too, b) the shavings were getting all over me and my room - every time I'd go to pick him up, he would drag out shavings with him, and c) I kept getting splinters trying to pick him up when he balled up while he was sleeping.

I got 2 yards of fleece in 3 different colors from JoAnne's and cut a length out of all three the size of the cage for liners (doubled over, so each acts as two liners, and now I have 2 backups while I'm washing one), then cut up most of the leftover fleece into strips to fill his igloo and tissue box with so he can burrow. He likes it so much more - this morning he had eaten almost all of his kibble, the water level had significantly dropped, and it was 'obvious' he had been very active on his wheel. I've only had him a week so this is the first time I've been able to tell how active he's been at night :D

21 - 31 of 31 Posts