Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second hedgie had quite the ordeal not too long ago when we found he was keeping his eye shut. It soon healed and appeared that he just scratched it and we thought it to be all better. However a week later we went to clean his cage and he had a proptosed eye ( it was fine less than 12 hours ago as I had checked on both hedgies before going to bed)... i so we had him taken to the vet and he said the only real option for us was to have the eye removed. We picked him up and its been about 4 days now and theres no sign of infection however his other eye seems to be doing the same, hes keeping it squinted shut more and more and theres a very small amount of blood in the corner of his eye closest to his nose.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing these eye problems? The vet checked him for mites via a skin scrape after he removed the eye and it was all clear. There wasnt any sign of infection in either eye or socket either according to him. He hasn't had any change in food or water or bedding (hes had Aspen woodchips since we got him).

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Poor little fella. I can only make guesses about what happened... and, at first I was thinking maybe a woodchip /splinter poked him in the eye? Bug bite? But given that it's not just one, but both eyes? gosh... tumor? allergy? untreated infection that the vet didn't or couldn't see the first time around?

I'd bring him back to the vet. I hope he's okay!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts